Opti-clay marring?!

Toni

Hi folks,

I understand that Opti-clay is discontinued in the US but seeing how many fans it has on here maybe I can get some help ... :beerchug[1]:

So, I've tried Opti-clay for the first time this weekend but it failed miserably ;) I got very bad marring after using it. The ambient temperature was of about 12 deg Celsius and after molding the clay a few times it became sticky. I didn't spend much time heating it but since it became sticky I assumed it was enough.

Anyone else got marring from Opti-clay? Could the low temperature be an issue for it?

I understand were you're coming from, it's not the first clay I've used. Never had any marring with Meguiar's Quik Clay or Sonus Ultra-fine (green).

My paint is medium hardness I suppose. It's a Seat Leon but its been repainted through its life. I've used plenty of lube (Dodo Juice Born Slippy) and there was no trace of fillers on my paint (the marks left by the clay were not swirls but marring, cloudiness of paint...).

• 1 month later...

The only thing I can think of is the clay is a more aggressive grade than you have previously used or it somehow became contaminated with grit. I have tried many clays as well and I reach for the Optimum or Meguair's equally with good results from both.

Chris

I've never used anything BUT Opticlay...and NO...You can't have any!

I've never EVER had a marring problem. Keep it properly lubed, like any other clay, and you'll be fine.

I've always used Optimum Norinse, 3 caps full, with distilled or softened water, as the lube.

Optimum Norinse has the recipe on the bottle, so use that. I think it calls for a bit more than I use, but I'm not sure. Either way it is (BOTH) a great product!

Hi folks,

I understand that Opti-clay is discontinued in the US but seeing how many fans it has on here maybe I can get some help ... :beerchug[1]:

So, I've tried Opti-clay for the first time this weekend but it failed miserably ;) I got very bad marring after using it. The ambient temperature was of about 12 deg Celsius and after molding the clay a few times it became sticky. I didn't spend much time heating it but since it became sticky I assumed it was enough.

Anyone else got marring from Opti-clay? Could the low temperature be an issue for it?

okay, wait a minute. It SHOULD NOT GET STICKY!

Sticky is BAD!

You should slide it across a cool and well lubed surface. That surface should be around 65 to 75 Farenheit. That may be 12C, I just don't want to look it up.

Don't PRESS it into the paint. Let it slide on the lube only to the extent that you feel a very light resistance. The clay does all of the work for you!.

If you do it right, the paint should feel slick after using it...at;east if you use NoRinse. I presume others will be the same, or close.

Let the palm of your hand be your guide.

I'll add the BEST piece of advice I've EVER received about detailing, from Anthony Orosco, (the guy who started this site!) It is ALWAYS best to start with the product and technique that causes the least amount of damage or change. You can always go more abrasive, or a tougher pad or a more abrasive product or technique, but you can't take it back!

Truer words were never spoken. Time is your friend, not abrasion! Keep it slick and cool!

Come back here if you're still having problems.

Elliott

Archived