Opti-Seal Q&A

Ron Harris

I am having a paint protection film applied to my car, the company recommends that you dont use wax or sealants containing petrolium distillates, can anyone tell me please whether Opti-seal contains these kinds of chemicals?

Many thanx

Edd

I doubt there are any distillates in OptiSeal due to its unique consistency, but Anthony or Dr.G should reply soon enough.

• 5 years later...

I sprayed some on my ipad. It definitely doesn't fill in scratches very well but leaves a very smooth surface. How long are you suppose to let it sit before you wipe off? How long does it take to fully cure? Also, it goes on streaky no matter what it seems and needs to be buffed off with a mf towel. I used glass mf towel on my ipad.

Not sure what answers you found but will add mine:

Seal has no fillers

Doesn't need to be wiped off - WOWO - wipe on walk away

Can be layered in an hour

If it's streaking, you're using too much - takes very little Seal

Im using a yellow foam applicator. Is it suppose to feel very grabby? Its only that way if I use very little. Theres no way I can apply this stuff without using a mf to wipe off. How long should I let it flash before I wipe off?

Im using a yellow foam applicator. Is it suppose to feel very grabby? Its only that way if I use very little. Theres no way I can apply this stuff without using a mf to wipe off. How long should I let it flash before I wipe off?

It may feel a little grabby. Are you spraying the applicator or the surface? I usually spray the applicator but if you are working on a large surface you can spray, it's just you may get some overspray on areas you have already done.

The point of these products is to not have to wipe them off, Anthony Orosco coined the term "Wipe On, Walk Away" (WOWA) during the development of this product. It is however, normal to have a "high-spot" or two where too much product has been applied.

This can be addressed in one of three ways. One is just to go back and hit those high spots with your applicator to spread them out more. The second is just to let them sit for a while (perhaps even overnight) and see if they go away. The third is to give them some time (an hour? five minutes? it all depends on the temp and humidity) and wipe off whatever doesn't go away.

As far as "there's no way...without....wipe off", well, you came to the mfr. forum to understand the proper technique, part of getting the benefit of forums is having an open mind and being open to changing your technique, if not there's not much point.

Im using my ipad as the test subject as amy residue on black glass will show up. I spray it on the screen directly, spread it out and let it flash. It will take around 5 mins to fully flash and dry but will leave a slight haze which again, theres no way to get off but to buff with a mf towel. Im not sure if my foam is contaminated or something. In my experience, Opti seal leaves a slight haze and will have to buff with mf and its not a true WOWA. I don't know how you are not getting the haze because im using a 500 lumen led light to be able to see if its fully flashed and to see the haze

Opti seal leaves a slight haze and will have to buff with mf and its not a true WOWA.

You're using too much product. An iPad is a pretty small area for one spray of product.

With all due respect, this product has been around since 2007, and if it wasn't a "true WOWA" you wouldn't have been the first one to figure that out. There is a small learning curve to this product, i.e. how much to use, how far to spread, in order for it to behave in the expected fashion. And it's pretty simple, you just need to get the product spread out thin enough to be able to "walk away". If you are using too much product for the surface area you have, you will be unable to get it spread to the required "thinness", and then it will leave residue as you are experiencing.

There's a few (tens of thousands) of us who have been able apply this product without incident; you simply need to adjust your technique. Maybe try it on your car?

I know one spray to an ipad screen is wayyyy too much product but I have tried spraying very little onto the tip of the foam and apply to the screen. Same results. Black Ipad screen will show residue and haze the best. I've applied two coats to my silver car without much of a problem because you can't really see the hazing and i end up buffing with a mf towel because ikno from the ipad it will haze. You should try using opti seal on an ipad and let me know if you can spread it on without hazing and streaking. let me know how that goes. With that being said, I will keep changing up my technique to see if I can get different results and report back

I've use Opti-Seal on my phone, IPad, and lots of surfaces (including showers and jacuzzi) - the key is limiting the amount. One spray will do a fender, so way overkill on a screen...I spray it on a microfiber towel (vs the yellow pad), apply it, then wipe any residue off with clean part of the towel. Maybe the towel absorbs some product, but it works well for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...