Review: Optimum Opti-Mitt

Perfections Detail

I just received my Optimum Opti-Mitt and thought I would share my impressions. Corey's review is where you can find a lot of the product info, so for my review I'm just going to get right to my thoughts/results/impressions. My first impression was the material looked much like a finishing pad I would normally use on a d/a or rotary. My normal ONR process up to this point has been using microfiber towels so I was excited to get to use something made just for ONR. So lets get down to my test subjects. My wifes Murano which I'm doing a long term test of OCW and Opti-bond, and it gets washed once a week. And her mothers car which hasn't been washed in over a month. Then a half test on my car. I mixed up 4 gallons of ONR 1oz per 2 gallons as per label. Usually I don't use the 2 bucket method but since I wasn't going to make another batch of ONR I thought I would for this test since I'm doing all 3 vehicles at once.

Here's the test subjects :)

DSC03162-1.jpg

Here's my weapons!

DSC03189.jpg

First wash..My wife's Murano. Before pics

DSC03164-1.jpg

DSC03165-1.jpg

DSC03166-1.jpg

My wife's Mothers car. Before pics

DSC03167-1.jpg

DSC03169-1.jpg

DSC03173-1.jpg

My wife's hood after. Microfiber towel clean after drying which is a good sign...no dirt to scratch the paint while drying = Mitt doing a good job cleaning.

DSC03190.jpg

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

Final result, no swirls yay :)

My wife's Mothers car after. Opps will have to post these tomorrow. Forgot to take afters!!

Here's my pros and cons list

Pros

1. Overall speed vs microfiber towels, when time is money Opti-Mitt wins.

2. Around emblems much easier then microfiber towels.

3. Cracks between body panels, its easy to turn the Mitt sideways where it makes a V in the foam and get into those cracks

4. Under roof racks is a breeze, the Mitt's broad face easily cleans under the racks

5. In the Murano the windshield wipers can't be prop'd up so u have to lift them about an inch before they hit the hood and try and clean under them, with a microfiber towel this can be a challenge but found it to be far easier with the mitt.

6. Good job on bug removal, although the pinnacle safe scrub block works faster its not as safe generally speaking

7. Releases dirt/contaminants easily into your wash bucket

8. Extends your hands cleanable reach a little

9. Overall great job cleaning while safely doing it without swirls :)

Cons

1. Heavily soiled areas will require 2 passes before you can dry, it seems like the Mitt can only take on so much dirt before you have to rinse it out and redo the panel.

2. If you don't want to waste a lot of ONR you have to wait at your bucket for a second, this thing holds a lot of water, and let it drain some of it out.

3. If your working fast, it will drip which is really only a problem on trucks/suv's when your trying to clean the roofs and you have to stand on the door seal to reach the roof, I got a few drops inside my wife's Murano on her seats, which was easily dried but still something to think about.

4. Even though it appeared to release all the dirt I still wouldn't mind a lighter color for the mitt, I know it must of been releasing all the dirt because there were no swirls on the cars, but still sometimes I like to see for myself before I touch paint that has been corrected.

5. STAY AWAY from sharp points on headlights...like a finishing pad catching a point on some manufacturers headlights when spinning on your rotary this mitt will tear. I was working fast near the camry's headlights and caught the mitt twice and took a small chunk out of it. Although this was user error, I thought I would throw this out there to help others not damage their mitt's :)

Pic of mitt right after washing with the small tears and still wet.

DSC03216.jpg

Overall this is a great product and will speed up my ONR process. When time is money, this product delivers safe results at a faster pace. Thanks OPT for making yet another amazing product that will be used on a daily basis now in my business :)

Perfections - I always make a dripping mess whether I use a mf or wool mitt. I look at it as more water less chance of scratching.

Chris - 2 handed Opti - Mitting the whole car at one time! Wow! I don't think I can move that fast..the car would dry out. You must move with ninja like speed. :tv_happy[1]:

• 1 month later...

Awesome Review Perfections!!!

You got a wide variety of use out of it and really gathered some great information there. Very well thought out pros and cons as well. I agree with a lot of your points. I hadn't even realized some things conciously until you mentioned them. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, btw cool idea with two mitts Chris!

Awesome Review Perfections!!!

You got a wide variety of use out of it and really gathered some great information there. Very well thought out pros and cons as well. I agree with a lot of your points. I hadn't even realized some things conciously until you mentioned them. Thank you!

Thanks Ceedog that means alot coming from the Master reviewer ;) your reviews make a follow up review much easier as I can just point them to yours and just add a few keys points I may agree with or want to add too :)

Hi guys. Currently i'm using 2 lamb's wool wash mitt from megs and chem guys. i found out that it's very dificult to clean the mitts.. lots of dirt like sand got stuck after wash cleaning the mitts.. i think opti mitt is better because its foam base. Do i need 2 opti mitts to wash car conventionaly? 1 for upper portion and 1 for lower portion??? Adams polishes reccomends it this way?? Pros?? Cons??

Hey, maybe it's a "Chris" thing. Chris M and I can both handle two OptiMitts at once. You don't "need" two, but by having two you can make two passes on the panels that need it without going back to the bucket. Time is money for me. :groupwave[1]:

Indeed Chris,2 OptiMitt's works well for me.Especially when

our MidWest salt covered roads throw alot of salt on our vehicles.Instead of going to the bucket twice for each wash section panel,I double swipe each pass ;)

Save's a ton of time (for me).

Archived