Opti-Seal and lacquer paint

Billy Jack

This will by a very wordy question, but I’m hoping a detailed question will help to obtain the best answer.

Optimum’s wax / sealant products seem to be geared toward modern clearcoat paints. My question refers to my garage queen, an ’87 El Camino with original single-stage lacquer. Trying to keep it an original “survivor”, I go to great lengths keeping the old paint presentable. My normal spring routine is first a good claying, followed by multiple aggressive rubdowns with the oil-rich Meguiars #7. Next is a light machine polish, usually with another oil rich Meguiar’s polish, either #3 Machine Glaze or the more aggressive #80 Speed Glaze. Final steps are then a sealant and wax. My current favorite sealant is Meguiar’s NXT since not only does it not diminish the gloss level, it does not streak on my sensitive dark burgundy paint. Many other waxes and sealants I’ve tried have streaked and /or diminished the gloss I’ve worked so hard to obtain. I’m very intrigued to try Opti-Seal as a base sealant, then OCW as a maintenance wax throughout the year, in the hope of being able to go the entire spring and summer cruise / show season with only minimal maintenance. As it is now, my spring routine has to be repeated in mid-summer, even though my Camino is a strictly a sunny day driver.

Opinions or experiences, anyone?

Do the Optimum products work as well on older lacquer finishes as they appear to on modern clearcoats? Is there any potential conflict with Opti-Seal and the oils in the Meguiar’s Polishes or glazes? Does Opti-Seal have any tendency to streak on older, softer paints? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill

IMG_1251.jpg

First I'll start off by saying beautiful car, and I really respect that you do your best to maintain the original paint. I've only done one single stage paint job since I'm new to opti seal, but I had no problems with streaking after using Meg's show car glaze and the pure polish, opti seal will streak on any surface if applied to heavy, just wait about 10 minutes after applying and do a final wipe down slowly and enjoy the smooth surface :) If your using nxt you will notice opti seal will last longer, with no I'll effects on gloss.

Thanks. I'll be eagerly awaiting Dr. G's reply. Maybe I'm being overly cautious with my concerns, but I've been disappointed dozens of times before with various products so I decided to ask before proceeding.

Honestly, the paint on the old girl is horrible, but it can only be original once.

I'll "feed" it with Meguiar's #7 and it will look great, but without permanency. Attempting to seal up the gloss I've obtained, I've tried numerous waxes and sealants, only to watch the gloss diminish as I'm applying. Worse are the streaking issues, since it then requires claying or cleaning to remove the streaks, which obviously takes me a couple steps backwards. I know all about thin applications, as I grew up using Classic Slipstream Wax, where the directions stated to rub in the product until the finish shines through the haze. OS just sounds too good to be true, providing a nice sealed-up surface with long-term durability that I can leave as-is or enhance and maintain with a wax topper. My only fear is if it doesn't work, it will be a bear to remove and removal will compromise my already-thin finish. Thanks again for addressing my questions.

Bill

Bill,

Sorry for my late reply to your question. First let me compliment you on how great your car looks. You have done an excellent job of preserving the paint gloss of your El Camino. As you already mentioned, Optimum waxes and sealants are designed for clear coat finishes. However, you can use either Opti-Seal or Optimum Car Wax after you have removed the oxidation and as the final topper. This will not have any adverse affects and would just add protection to the paint.

I appreciate if you share your results with us whenever you get a chance to try these products. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

Best Regards,

David,

Thanks for the reply Doctor G,

I was concerned that the increased "permeability" (if that is the appropriate term) of the old lacquer would not accept Opti-Seal evenly, causing nasty streaks. I'm probably still 4-6 weeks away from having comfortable temps in my garage, but I'll definitely get some 50/50 pics and a decent review posted when the time comes. Is there any benefit to a second coat of O-S after the first coat cures?

Thanks again,

Bill

Archived