Looking for 90mm 150mm Backing plate

Guest No.1 Custom Detailing

Looking for a smallest backing plate with smallest buffing pads from cut, med, polish. any brands new used it doesn't matter as long as its on good condition. dribble[1].gif

Cheers

Looking for a smallest backing plate with smallest buffing pads from cut, med, polish. any brands new used it doesn't matter as long as its on good condition. dribble[1].gif

Cheers

You don't mention if you are looking for da or rotary products. 3" and 4" bp's and foam pads are available from various producers . Optimum offers both da and rotary 3" bp's. They also have the new microfiber pads that are 3.25". Another avenue you may persue is that of cutting down a bp and pad to your desired size.I have done this with some bp's to get a custom fit with good success.

Hey paul cheers for the info.... i prefer 3'' bp's but i saw one with lake country they have much smaller 2.75'' bp's. What's the difference between rotary and a standard? I'm using rupes lh22e italian buffer also what do you mean cutting down a bp and pad to your desired size? a custom made you do it your self? nice your a genius paul show me how.....

Most random orbital da's use a 5/16" mount and rotary machines a 5/8" mount. The rotary backing plates have a 5/8" hole in the plate that bolts to the shaft on the machine where as da backing plates have a 5/16" stud that mounts into the hole in the rotating shaft.Basically the opposite of each other. There are adapters available to put rotary bp's onto da's. The rupes polisher I saw at SEMA was of the da design if my memory is correct and also had a longer stroke then anything offered here in the states.Have no idea if this is the model you have.

On the cutting or custom sizing of bp's , I have been experimenting with different size plate and pad combinations. A detailer by the name Kevin Brown has written articles that have peaked my interest about having the pad edge and bp edge align. First a word of caution when trying this. With the bp being even with the outer edge of the pad , care must be taken to keep the bp from coming in contact with mirrors,trim or other painted surfaces.His theory is you get the best results with the direct pressure at the outer edge of the bp. Sort of like when you tilt the machine up and use the edge to assert more pressure.I hope I'm explaining this correctly and not confusing everyone or mis-representing his idea.

When cutting a bp I insert the shaft into a drill press and use a file or rasp and some sandpaper. The bp where the velcro doesn't come all the way to the outer edge are easier to modify compared to the ones where the velcro is all the way to the edge.

Very intresting... i made a used bp took it to the machine shop less stress. came out good but actually I wanted to try making your own custom made bp. Please show me how paul :D

I have only modified existing bp's . Never made one from scratch. I haven't found a need for anything smaller than the 3" that Optimum and other vendors are offering.

What are you needing the smaller bp for ?

Archived