OG'ed Fiberglass Boat / Terrible Water Spotting

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Hey guys, I coated my brother-in-law's Ranger bass boat in early spring. He's fishes tournaments so he's on the water all day typically. I was at his house last week and he showed me his boat & I was shocked. It had terrible water spots all over the place. I know for a fact that he always wipes his boat down with QD after pulling it out of the water. He said he's tried everything he can think of to remove the water spots, but they won't come off. He's not real happy with me since I told him OG would be fantastic on his boat.

So, what do I do at this point? Why would his boat spot up so badly? The only thing I can think is that it's subjected to constant water + sun/heat when he's using it, which basically is just baking the water on the surface. But even then, why did he not have this problem pre-OG? Is OG not compatible with fiberglass?

I'm at a loss on what to tell him other than the fact that I'll re-polish his boat to remove the spots & the coating, which is not an easy task with it being a boat. I love OG myself, but this situation is a bit alarming.

The product used was Prima Amigo in that case.

Any non abrasive paint cleaner will work though or Poli-Seal as recommended. As you mentioned Chris, the brilliant thing is that they won't etch through the surface, so unlike waterspots on an uncoated surface that can be a nightmare, removal is relatively straight forward with Opti-Coat.

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Thanks for all the info guys. That's a huge relief to know the spots should come off w/o much effort. And no, I don't see your post as a lecture Chris. I appreciate the information. I don't have any Poli-Seal anymore (using GPS now), but I do have some Klasse AIO. I'll give that a shot & see what happens. Thanks again!

I OG'd my boat last year, and has the same water spot issues (1994 Malibu Ski boat) but I noticed it's from the water in the river we ski in. This summer we went a few different places and the water spots were not nearly as bad. As far as treatment, I go with a 50/50 mix of water and Vinegar after every use. Then a ONR wash, followed by a application of OS.

Archived