Man, I goofed!

Islandson81

I really messed things up with first time application of OCW. I think it's a combo of WAAAAY too much product and the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. It was only for about a minute, but on a dark blue car, that's enough to warm the panel up real fast and I guess I ended up baking the product on. Got these dark streaks all over the roof of my car now. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

The underlying LSP is two layers of BFWD. Washed with ONR.

I tried lightly spritzing with ONR at QD strength and wiping with clean MF. No luck. Then I tried lightly spritzing with OCW and again wiping with clean MF. Marginally better luck. I didn't want to do hard buffing and add scratches.

Guess the next time I apply it, I should do small sections, and "dribble" it on. Work it in a little and immediately buff off with another MF. My previous spray wax was Eagle One Nano Spray Wax. It was quite a bit more forgiving because of the solvent content. Applied too heavy? No problem! Lightly spray and it'll dissolve heavy areas. OCW? No way, bro! You spray me on too heavy, and I'm gonna getcha!

My bad.

But on the positive side, when I did figure out how to properly apply OCW to the rest of my car, I got amazing results. Did Before and After comparisons on front and back doors, and there was a noticeable difference. Applied first to front door and compared to recently BFWD'd back door. I noticed an increase in gloss and brightening of color immediately.

BFWD tends to darken the colors, ( from what I've experienced on my car....other's may find it different ) and will slightly mute the metallic flakes in the shade, but will allow full 'pop' when viewed in direct sunlight. OCW had slightly different characteristics. Because of the 'lightening', I could see more of the flakes in the shade. Pretty impressive.

I'm not going to give up on OCW, nor am I going to blame the product. Rather, I take the blame fully upon myself for applying incorrectly. I should've known better.

Well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Usually, when I have sprayed on too much and the product dries, I just spray more OCW on real quick and it will come right off, even on a darker vehicle. Another thing you can do if the paint is warm is spray the OCW on your towel first and wipe it on, this method works great for me.

One things for sure, it's well protected! Here's my application technique. Spray on panel and quickly spread till it starts to disappear, flip towel over and make sure it's completely gone. Or have a second towel handy for final wipe off. Work in 2x2 ft sections and there should be no problems :). Keep us posted on your next go around with Ocw :)

Usually, when I have sprayed on too much and the product dries, I just spray more OCW on real quick and it will come right off, even on a darker vehicle. Another thing you can do if the paint is warm is spray the OCW on your towel first and wipe it on, this method works great for me.

I tried that, but I think I waited a bit too long. OCW dried VERY fast on that warm roof, plus the wind started picking up right about then, which made matters worse. Guess I know better next time, huh? *Chuckle* And I'll definitely give your method a try!

A cold water dampened mf will allow you to level it quickly and easily if you use too much.

That's exactly what I did when I used the "M" company's ULW. That product streaked like crazy, even when applied thinly. Gonna drop by the local hardware store and pick-up a spray bottle and always include that in my detail kit. Oh, BTW, here's a posting I found:

http://www.autopia.o...-revisited.html

One things for sure, it's well protected! Here's my application technique. Spray on panel and quickly spread till it starts to disappear, flip towel over and make sure it's completely gone. Or have a second towel handy for final wipe off. Work in 2x2 ft sections and there should be no problems :). Keep us posted on your next go around with Ocw :)

You got that right, dude....it sure is well protected now! I've been thinking. (OMG, he can actually think?) I have a small collection of those cheapie, thin Viking MF's I got from O'Reily's. I had various uses for them, including wiping-on spray waxes. Then I used a plush MF for buffing. Hmmm. I think I may go back to that, since that method worked well on my previous car. I won't be such a 'snob' when it comes to MF's anymore. Just because the 'other' MF is more expensive, doesn't make it better. Sometimes cheapie really is better, IMO.

Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...

OCW is a TRUE game changer.

End results, with consideration to labor involved, are unequalled on a properly prepped paint system.

Until Dr. G. comes out with something better, OCW will always be my LSP when using a carnauba product.

Archived