Just ordered my OPT kit

Dberube

First time post, long time follower.

I just ordered my starter kit, including a GG Polisher, Nanoscrub, and a whole slew of OPT products: compound II, Polish II, Finish Polish, Metal Polish, Poli Seal, Opti Seal, Opti Bond, as well as the OPT MF Cutting and Polishing pads.

I have 3 cars, all in different states of paint condition, which is the reason for the wide variety of products.

I'll be tackling my 1998 Mustang Cobra first, as this is the oldest and requires the most attention. It has been relegated to my summer DD, and was subjected to regular automatic car washes until I started researching proper car care techniques (thanks to all on this forum). I have now assembled the proper kit for the 2 bucket wash system, and will never use the "lazy way" of washing again.

In preparation for winter storage, I've decided to correct the paint, and will likely ask you for assistance leading up to the start of the project.

Once I've honed my skills, I'll move on to my FX35 and then the M3.

Thanks again for your expert knowledge.

Welcome! Make sure to pick up some ONR to add to your collection of OPT stuff. Ask away, we're here to help.

Can't wait to see the 98 cobra pics. I had one for 13yrs myself.

Welcome! Make sure to pick up some ONR to add to your collection of OPT stuff. Ask away, we're here to help.

Thanks - I've been hesitant to use an ONR type product, however, won't argue with those that know.

Can't wait to see the 98 cobra pics. I had one for 13yrs myself.

As much as it is 14 years old, I drove it off the lot brand new and won't get rid of it. My wife offered to bury me in it (not sure of the connotation here though). : )

Its the closest thing I have to a pure driving experience, with no acronym alphabet soup systems to interfere or correct my driving.

If everything arrives by the weekend, I'll get started then.

• 1 month later...

I had an unfortunate fender bender in the Cobra (ask anyone it was his fault! : ) ) that resulted in a little damage to my car (headlight is toast and hood needs to be realigned). I suspect the insurance claim will result in the repainting of the bumper, hood and possibly the front fenders. If this is the case, what would you do? Fix what needs fixing, and polish the rest? Re-paint the car and simply maintain the new paint going forward? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, just thought I'd chime in here since I'm new. I also just ordered a (much smaller) starter kit of my own, mainly just the polisher and some No-rinse. Thanks guys for all that you've done to teach people about car detailing and cleaning--thanks for linking to that guide, it really helped me.

Archived