ONR - First Impressions

Dberube

I finally had the opportunity to try ONR after several "buy" recommendations from Chris and other members from the forum.

I first washed the interlagos blue M3, and used an entire 5 gallon bucket of ONR to complete the task. The car had been rained on this week, and had been driven about 75 miles and accumulated a typical build-up of road grime. The current paint protection is Kalles AIO topped by their sealant.

To be quite honest, I was not blown away by the end results. The car was clean, however, the results were not better than a standard 2 bucket wash with a hose by my side. I know its only a wash product, however, I've bought in line and sinker into the technology behind the OPT line, and was likely expecting a more significant / measurable difference. As well, given that I was ever conscious of potentially damaging the paint, starting doubting the benefits of using ONR altogether. To finish today's wash'n'wax, I used the Optimum Wax as my LSP, and was very impressed with the end results with this product.

Later in the afternoon, I wanted to try ONR again, and decided to tackle my black mustang cobra (my dd), which was driven approx 300 miles this past week, and has TW ICE sealant as the LSP(btw - this will be my first paint correction target once my GG polisher shows up this week). The car was slightly dirtier than the Bimmer, therefore decided to prepare a pre-soak ONR solution using a very scientific 1 capful of ONR to a 25 ounce spray bottle. I sprayed the entire car with my pre-soak, and then proceeded to wash the car. What a completely different result! The ONR wash was very easy, and I was quite impressed with the result. Even my neighbor commented that the cobra looked better than the M3.

I'm curious as to my different results - does the base layers of sealant/wax make a difference? Does ONR work better on darker colors? Was the pre-soak that critical to the success of the product? Perhaps my technique improved? Was Dr. David a mustang guy, and had a hatred of BMWs?

I'm curious for feedback, so thanks in advance.

Weird, every time I wash my customers bmw's they always think I just waxed it again for them. The newest onr really leaves a nice gloss. After a few more washes you will really start to love onr. I noticed after a few tries my process got better as did my results.

I have to believe it was my technique - how could thousands of pros and enthusiasts be wrong! I was convinced enough by the stang to keep using ONR going forward.

I'm always amazed how good my car looks after ONR. Mine has Opti-Coat on it and the combination of the two means my car looks terrific and is very easy to wash. Usually after I wash a customer's car with ONR, they think I've already waxed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

I prepped the BMW for the winter today (it was such a beautiful day outside today!), and used ONR as my car wash product. The car had not been touched in 3 weeks due to weather and schedule, and was medium to heavy soiled, therefore a good test for ONR. My final verdict is that this is one impressive product, and that technique is key to the results.

I used a spray bottle of ONR to pre-soak (Zep Citrus at 6:1 if required in tougher areas), and used an extremely damp MF towel folded in four and made only one linear pass per quarter of MF, and then repeated the process with a second mildly damp MF to ensure the area was clean, and then dried with another MF. This process resulted in the "just waxed" look several of you were mentioning. I was running out of daylight, so did a quick coat of Klasse AIO, topped with OPT wax - I'm very impressed with the results.

At this point I would like to add the new ONR with carnauba as a maintenance wash for the winter.

Used ONR on my black camaro for the first time last night. Everything went well and I was impressed with the product. My process was:

3 gallons warm water & 1.5 oz ONR with grit guard in my wash bucket. 4 gallons warm water with grit guard in my rinse bucket. Pretreated panel with ONR 1:16 ratio in spray bottle, first pass with grout sponge, second pass with wet plush mf towel. Drying pass with waffle weave drying towel, final pass with plush towel and detail spray. Worked great!

• 1 month later...

Archived