Optimum Car Wash looks aerated in bottle

Bunky

I was getting ready to wash my truck today and I had noticed that my Optimum Car Wash looked quite strange.

This was a new unused bottle I purchased this summer. I have another bottle of Optimum Car Wash purchased at least 3 years ago and it was normal.

DSC_3799-L.jpg

DSC_3797-L.jpg

The white flecks in the soap seem to disappear if you rub them between your fingers although I had minimal time to experiment since I used another brand of soap at the time.

I wonder what happened.

I can tell you exactly what has happened because it happens to us during winter. The product is just a little cold and towards the freezing stage.

Put it in the warmth and it will go back to normal!

Even in the worst winters, the garage rarely gets below 40 F (have temp monitor). It is attached with heated space over it.

I got this bottle in the summer from someone who bought it in the spring. It has not been below 32 F here outside so not close to freezing in the garage,

As I mentioned, I have a second bottle and it shows no signs but it is older. There may have been a formulation change that is not as stable but waiting to see what Optimum says.

OK, we'll I can tell you we have cartons and cartons of Optimum Car Wash in our warehouse that do exactly this when its cold and then when we heat them back up they go back to normal. It doesn't have to be super cold either, just colder than normal. It doesn't have an effect on the product either.

Even in the worst winters, the garage rarely gets below 40 F (have temp monitor). It is attached with heated space over it.

I got this bottle in the summer from someone who bought it in the spring. It has not been below 32 F here outside so not close to freezing in the garage,

As I mentioned, I have a second bottle and it shows no signs but it is older. There may have been a formulation change that is not as stable but waiting to see what Optimum says.

Hi Bunky,

As Joel already explained Optimum Car Wash turns cloudy at around 42 F as most car washes do in general. This is referred to as the cloud point. Usually you have to get the contents of the bottle to around 55F or higher before it turns clear again. I therefore recommend bringing the bottle inside your house and leaving it over night. If it does not turn clear, then we will replace it for you! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

David,

Thanks for the explanation but interestingly of all my soaps (including another sample) this is the only one that did it. It did restore itself as stated but just interesting compared to other soaps. My guess is Optimum has "more" of something (super saturated solution, trying to remember by chemistry).

Archived