how to apply....

Matryx

I did a rinseless wash today with ONR and I thought I'll apply some the Optimum Spray Wax after. This is my second time using this and I think I'm doing it wrong.

I spray a panel and use a MF towel to work it in but it seems like it's really hard to work in and I feel like I'm scratching the paint with the MF towels. It's not smooth but feels sticky when moving across the paint like I'm dragging it. I hope I'm not instilling scratches on the paint. It just doesn't feel right.

Am I doing it wrong?

What and how are you guys applying these spray wax?

I've got two coats of Collinite 845 that I applied three weeks ago.

Couple of questions...

1). How much spray are you using per panel? I usally do a half sprtiz on each side of the panel (ends up being one spray per panel) and have found that with OCW, a little goes a long way. If you feel that it isn't enough for your liking, layer it after you have done your entire car. Also make sure to flip your towel to prevent saturation, or follow behind with a clean, dry towel to buff off any existing residue.

2). How does it feel like your scratching the paint? If that is the case, check for debris in your towel, re-assess your washing (left behind dirt), and apply no pressure when working the product over the paint.

3). Also, what temps are your working with when using the product?

I'm mearly asking these questions to help spit ball ideas. Please don't take it as me attacking your skills. :)

Well I was doing the hood and I did at least 4-5 sprays. Looks like a little too much product. It was also around 8 degrees celius outside.

Don't worry I don't take anything personal on here. I'm not a professional so that's why I'm here asking questions.

There's definitely no more dirt on the car. It's not scratching but I think I'm instilling towel marks. When I try to wipe the wax with my towel with no pressure. My hand goes somewhere else and my towel basically stay still unless I put more pressure to drag it.

The back of the bottle tells me to work it in so I tried doing that but it didn't seem to by gliding like some of the other stuff I've used before. I've applied this before and it was the same 3-4 weeks ago when it was 12 degrees outside after putting on a coat of Collinite 845

Well, with large areas more sprays are needed. I forgot to add that. For some reason I was picturing a door and fender in my head as I was typing that reply. ;-) Did you fan out your spray pattern for better coverage? Perhaps your towel absorbed most of the sprays if they were individual blobs in far locations from each other? Thus losing the lubrication/liquid in the towel as you traveled over the rest of the panel?

If it was 12 degrees outside that's not too cold (if I did my conversion correct). What kind of towel are you using? Perhaps weight (in gsm) or the name brand?

Hmm. Let me see. (Mental gears runnin) 8 degrees Celsius = 46 degrees Fahrenheit. I think the temps are too cold and OCW may be flashing too fast. Try shrinking your work area to a much smaller section. Wipe OCW on and buff off immediately with another towel. OCW, I've found out, has a very slight learning curve, but once mastered, is a quick and easy way to wax. And as others have noted, OCW needs to go on thin. Almost to the point where you can't see if you're applying it. Sounds crazy, I know, but I've experienced this firsthand.

And has the car been recently clayed/polished? If the towel feels like its dragging across the surface, perhaps you might have some tree sap or some other contaminant on the paint.

Hope this helps.

:spoton[1]:

Oh, and I'd like to add a few more things to help clarify. Since you're using a MF for application, try priming with a light spray of OCW first, and apply a light spritz to the section you're working on. The towel becomes nicely saturated and very little will be needed for the remaining sections.

And if the towel you're using has a dual-sided nap, the thicker, plusher side has less friction, so it buffs off easier. The shorter nap side is a little 'grabby'.

Try using the small, travel sized 4 ounce sprayer that is chemical resistant. This sprayer will atomize OCW into an extremely fine mist. Much finer than with the bottle OCW comes with.

And lastly: hopefully you won't have to do any claying and polishing.

Happy Detailing, everyone!

:spoton[1]:

Shrink your work area

:rock[1]:

Thanks everyone. I will try that whenever the next time I get the chance to after a rinseless wash. Not sure when that will be though since the other day was the only exception that it was 8-16 degrees here in canada

Hope everything works out for you, Matryx. BTW, do you live in an apartment/condo or a house? If you have access to a garage, you can ONR in the garage. Or if not, then perhaps you can use warm water in each of your two buckets (I'm assuming you're using the two bucket method). Long cuff nitrile, neoprene or latex gloves will help keep your hands and arms dry, and thus warmer.

To me, cold hands are bad enough. But cold AND wet? I don't think so! Detailed my car three times the last winter, without gloves, and the experience was not pleasant. I get the sniffles just thinking about it.

Happy Detailing!

-Ross

:thumbsupup[1]:

I do have a garage but I have too much tools and stuff in there to fight my car in there for a wash. I'll do an ONR wash if it gets to 5+ degrees here in Canada. Otherwise I'll just go to the coin wash and give it a good spray when it gets too dirty or when we get a snowfall with salts on the roads.

• 6 months later...

i think that saquatch towel is to thick for applying spray wax... the super towel seems fine. i use the long nap side to spread and the short nap side to buff off, however i barely use any pressure. my car is as slick as brand new cooking grease when i'm done. i have no scratches, swirls, wash marks etc. at all. otay i'm lying... i have 1 clear coat scratch on the trunk that you can't see, don't know how it got there but i found it... i can live with that 1 small scratch ;)

Archived