Dealing with streaks after application - prevent or fix after?

neonglh

I have sealed around 6 or 7 cars now with Optiseal after doing a wash, decon, and iso wipe. I have tried a few different methods, and each time I get some streaking on the paint as the OOS dries. I have tried priming the pad with a spritz or two, and then doing anywhere from 1 - 2 spritz's per panel, depending on size. I have also tried spraying just into the pad, and then rubbing that around on the panel. Is there a better way that would prevent the streaks? I heard of someone putting a nitrite glove over the foam applicator and using that to spread the OOS, so that it doesn't absorb into the pad, is that dumb?

Second part of the question, assuming I have some light streaking afterwards, what is the best way to remove. I usually wipe with a microfiber, but it doensn't get all of the streaking, at least easily. Some of it take some decent pressure, and I don't always feel comfortable doing that. Would a spritz of detailing spray or Opti Clean help remove any residue?

Please advise for best practices. And to preemptively answer questions, I dont' believe I am using too much. I use 1 spritz for each fender, door, quarter panel, and hatch, and then 2 spritz for the hood, bumpers, and roof.

Mark

I'll take you at your word that you are talking about Opti-Seal, because the applicator-in-glove technique is usually used for Opti-Coat. First of all, if you have any kind of residues in your applicator or on the surface that can cause streaking, although the usual reason is over-application. I find that usually that streaking disappears on its own if you leave the car overnight, however it sounds like you are working on customer cars where that isn't feasible.

Also, I usually find a microfiber to pretty easily remove the streaking, if it is fresh. You might try doing a panel, moving on to a second panel, then going back to the first panel where it should have all flashed, and knocking down any high spots with your applicator (by knocking down I mean spreading that streaky area out over a larger area so it will flash clear). Then apply to your 3rd panel, and after you finish that go back to the second panel for high spots.

If that isnt' working, then yes, surely a detail spray or Opti-Clean should knock it down.

It's just not necessary for Opti-Seal (the main reason it's done for Opti-Coat is because of the cost you don't want any soaking into the applicator and being wasted). How clean is the applicator you're using? Was it used for other products? Try using a new applicator or washing the one you use (make sure it is dry before you reuse it).

Archived