Leather Conditioner?

richb

Does Optimum make a dedicated leather conditioner? If not, is there one in the pipeline?

Yes, Optimum Protectant Plus.

Seeing as how almost all leathers in cars today are coated, much like a clear coat on a car, water-based dressings are recommended to be used, such as Optimum Protectant Plus which also has UV absorbers. So modern leather is treated then like vinyl.

303 also makes a nice dressing for coated leathers and vinyl.

On my details I usually use Leather Master, it's a great leather cleaning and conditioning system.

Anthony

What do you use on King Ranch Fords?

Ford recommends lanolin-based conditioners. I have used Megs successfully on these, and keep it in stock for anyone who wishes to have their leather conditioned after steaming.

I imagine that it's not the easiest product to use.

• 5 weeks later...

Seeing as how almost all leathers in cars today are coated, much like a clear coat on a car, water-based dressings are recommended to be used, such as Optimum Protectant Plus which also has UV absorbers. So modern leather is treated then like vinyl.

On my details I usually use Leather Master, it's a great leather cleaning and conditioning system.

Anthony

been a fan of leather masters for years. I also like einszett's leather cream for simple clean and conditions.

• 2 years later...

Anthony

Anthony,

Nowhere in the OPP's description does it say it's a leather conditioner so I wanted to make sure you aren't confusing protectant (which it is) and conditioner.

I'm currently searching for a conditioner for my wifes leather seats in her car, and I was trying to find out if my gallon of OPP would fit the bill. But nowhere does it mention anything about conditioning. Just that it protects.

"Replenishes protective chemicals" does not sound like conditioning to me. Just FYI

Just like automotive paint which has undergone major changes in technology, automotive leather and vinyl surfaces have also improved considerably in the past decade. Nearly all automotive leather surfaces are treated with special chemicals that provide resistance to scratching and marring, increase their durability, and provide protection from weathering. The chemistry of vinyl surfaces has improved dramatically as well to give these surfaces leather look and leather feel. The vinyl surfaces are also treated with similar chemicals as those used for automotive leather to increase their durability and to provide protection from weathering.

These protective chemicals are lost over a period of a few months. Optimum Protectant Plus cleans these surfaces and replenishes the protective chemicals while adding UV protection to these substrates. Most leather or vinyl protectants in the marketplace leave an oily film behind on these surfaces which gives them a glossy look and an slick feel. Since these products are not absorbed into these surfaces, they last a few days and mainly act as a dust magnet.

Optimum Protectant Plus keeps leather supple and helps reduce cracking of vinyl and leather surfaces, as well as reducing scratching and marring. Optimum Protectant Plus penetrates and adheres to these surfaces; therefore, it does not make these surfaces oily or slick and provides lasting protection. Optimum Protectant Plus also works great on the outside trims and moldings. These are just some of the reasons why Optimum Protectant Plus is preferred by many detailing professionals.

• 1 year later...

[i am new to the Optimum line but have used many well know brands of leather conditioners and cleaners. As mentioned I would say that most (if not all) automotive leathers are vinyl coated.

I have never used cheap dressings only fine leather prodcuts and I have to say this.

Used the Optimum Leather and it is a little different than most I have tried but I like it so far. Leather was good before and now even better. Very supple.

So will keep the forum in formed of the progress.

• 7 years later...

Archived