carpet dyes. Do they work?

ehall

Hi guys,

I'm looking at this product http://www.topoftheline.com/premtinag.html to slightly darken my carpet from light beige to a cashemere color. Any thoughts? Any experience with carpet dyes? Pitfalls? Durability? Other thoughts?

I'm trying to avoid aerosol vynil/plastic/carpet porducts. I just find it hard to believe that they are at all durable without making the carpet awfully stiff. Thanks for the help.

E

Hi guys,

I'm looking at this product http://www.topoftheline.com/premtinag.html to slightly darken my carpet from light beige to a cashemere color. Any thoughts? Any experience with carpet dyes? Pitfalls? Durability? Other thoughts?

I'm trying to avoid aerosol vynil/plastic/carpet porducts. I just find it hard to believe that they are at all durable without making the carpet awfully stiff. Thanks for the help.

E

The carpet dye's actually work very well. I did a room in our house with a color after my father passed away. It was his smoking room so we stripped everything down, walls, new curtains, smoke treatment on the ceiling and carpets, etc.

The carpet had become really faded so instead of new carpet we dyed it using the dye Irene carries. Worked just fine, it's soft and it has lasted through one machine cleaning and numerous spot cleanings.

The key to application is making sure you have a reliable and steady application source. A trigger sprayer works OK for small areas like your interior but for large areas, like in your house, use an air compressor and paint gun. Because I used a trigger sprayer I have some areas slightly darker than others which is no big deal unless you really look for it.

So mix it up, spray the dye on carpet that is as clean as possible and very dry and then give it a brushing. Another key is to not stop until you have layed down one nice light even coat. Then come back and apply another complete LIGHT even coat. Make sure your color is one shade darker than your current color.

So to save money just buy from Irene the color chart, then place the color chart next to your carpet, order the shade you need and then go to Home Dept or Lowes and buy a nice insecticide sprayer which can apply the dye. Irene sells a kit but you don't need all that other stuff really....just the dye you need and a sprayer.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

just a suggestion....maybe check into an HVLP at the local paint store....it is a HIGH-VOLUME-LOW-PRESSURE paint sprayer and what it does is atomize the paint/product into a fine mist to get a more even and uniform application. Don't know about using it for dye's, but it can't be any worse than using Industrial Paitnts thru it. They are also generally not very expensive to rent.

just a suggestion....maybe check into an HVLP at the local paint store....it is a HIGH-VOLUME-LOW-PRESSURE paint sprayer and what it does is atomize the paint/product into a fine mist to get a more even and uniform application. Don't know about using it for dye's, but it can't be any worse than using Industrial Paitnts thru it. They are also generally not very expensive to rent.

Great recomendation Bullet.... I guess you're good for something more than target practice for me :blink:

I use one of the guns you mention to apply tire dressing via an aircompressor, works great!

Anthony

Great recomendation Bullet.... I guess you're good for something more than target practice for me :lol:

I use one of the guns you mention to apply tire dressing via an aircompressor, works great!

Anthony

Hey Anthony! I would like to see the one you are using for tire dressings, I may be able to implement it's use in my shop.

• 3 months later...

Not sure about the particular dye TOL sells but I had an old GMC truck with faded blue carpet in it. I mixed up some cheap RIT dye and sponged it on. Turned out great except I picked Royal Blue and it was a bit bright. In hindsight I should have done a test area and let it dry. I'm sure with a good sprayer and a good quality dye things will turn out great.

Archived