Question on opti-glass application.

kebk

Hi, first i m a cheap *bleep*. i just got a new car. ill be applying opti-glass on the windshield. but i cringe at the though of using any scratching (pollish) compound. i mean the car glass is pretty much transparent. so my plan of action is to use dawn dish soap, then use IPA to 10-15%. am i overly foolish skipping the compond? is there a better way *remember i m a cheap...* to insure that the glass is well prepped? thx.

Hi Setec Astronomy, thanx for your reply. i will do it by hand. i dont have any buffing machine. i m not that dedicated to car care. after a lot of forum reading and youtube video, i choose the optimum brand for it's ease of use. i will apply OOS and then OCW every few month. i just wanna take care of my "investment". ive been looking around at product from various company for the polish. i am not sure how abrasive each are. also i find hard to to justify the need for a few tea spoon of product. having to buy a full bottle of pollish. i mostly want the protection (of course in the case of opti-glass the rain shedding also). i do know that i have the dealers wash done to the car. so the dawn wash i hope will take care of theirs *wax* "treatment". but the windsheild glass look pretty good to my eye. so i m nervous at the idea of intentionally "scratching" the glass. i m afraid of creating a vicious cycle. "scratch" the glass to use the chemical. apply the the chemical because the glass is scratched. i understand the need for the glass to be clean for the product application (for proper bonding). i wanted the reassurance from knowledgeable people that chemical cleaning is enough (and what king of product qualify for this use).

• 1 year later...

Few questions about Opti-Glass. I am about to use Opti-Glass for the first time. I see in the directions it states to wipe down with 15% IPA. Since Paint Prep was released after Opti-Glass was introduced, what are your thoughts on a possible use of Paint Prep in place of the IPA? Secondly should I use the Opti-Glass on the side mirrors? or would Gloss-Coat be the better pick for that task? Thanks.

Few questions about Opti-Glass. I am about to use Opti-Glass for the first time. I see in the directions it states to wipe down with 15% IPA. Since Paint Prep was released after Opti-Glass was introduced, what are your thoughts on a possible use of Paint Prep in place of the IPA? Secondly should I use the Opti-Glass on the side mirrors? or would Gloss-Coat be the better pick for that task? Thanks.

I have been using the paint prep with Opti-Glass. It has worked fine. I also used opti-glass on the side mirrors.

You could use Paint prep or 15% - 50% IPA mix. The instructions were made before Paint prep was available on the market. Same goes for Opti coatings.

And yes you can use Opti-glass on side mirrors. Its designed for glass so you can use it on side windows.

Paint Prep was formulated to be better than IPA for Coatings. You can use Opti-Glass on all glass (even phones/tablets) but Gloss-Coat works as well on surfaces that don't have wipers (Opti-Glass was designed to deal with wiper abrasion) and might be less expensive option.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to follow up on the OP question: In the description of Opti-Glass it states to polish or use the Opti clay Eraser. I assume using the clay eraser would substitute having to polish? This will be on a new car that is untouched from the dealer. Also in regards to the application temperature if I apply on a cool day will I simply allow more time or where do I stand there with application temps of 60+ degrees, Should I wait for spring time to apply? Is the application process similar to opti-seal and gloss coat?

• 3 months later...

sorry to answer so late, but here goes -using clay or Eraser is not a substitute for polishing and either or both should only be done if necessary. Minimum application temp for all Coatings is 40 degrees. Opti-Glass begins to cure immediately so we recommend spraying directly onto the pad and applying, don't spray onto the window.

Archived