Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

I've got a feeling that this may generate some face-palms, but...

I just took delivery of Gloss-Coat. How do I "open" the syringe -- prepare it for use? It has a black plug in the nozzle end, and there's a separate blue part which I assume is a nozzle. The black plug appears to be threaded, but doesn't yield to fingers torque.

use a pliers to remove the black cap, attach blue nozzle, then recap firmly after use to preserve remaining Gloss-Coat.

Thanks!

I had the entire car done in Opti-Coat Pro, but recently due to a mishap a large plastic rear bumper was repainted by a body shop. Two weeks after repainting I'm going to get a strip of paint protect film re-applied to part of the bumper, and then apply the Gloss-Coat. After I wash with Optimum No Rinse & Shine, do I need the IPA step before the Gloss-Coat?

You should always do a chemical wipe before applying a coating just I case there are waxes, silicones, etc. But also, you want to wait until the paint is cured before applying PPF or Gloss-Coat®. Your Installer can also order a small amount of Opti-Coat® to redo the panel if you like. There is.a charge, but your insurance should pay for getting the car back to pre accident condition.

I'm waiting two weeks for curing. I'd use the original installer, but he's a two hour drive that either he or I would have to do. He's the closest one. For the whole car it was OK, but for just a bumper... that's why I bought the Gloss-Coat, which I understand is the "amateur" version of Opti-Coat Pro.

• 1 month later...

Just curious what everyone is using orbwhay Optimum recommends as I was looking for a topper for gloss coat after washing would Opti-Seal or Optimum car wax be the more synergistic optimum product to use in your opinion?

That should read "or what Optimum recommends", pardon me guys sent that from my phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Ron for not being more clear. I was picking up a few items and noticed you have several types of microfiber towels on opti-coat.net. Multi surface, Xtra plush, Edgeless premium plush, premium xtra plush etc. The prices seem very good for these towels and as I was going to gloss coat another vehicle I figured I should try out some of your towels. Which of them are best to level a coating?

I recently have cloudy issues after applying opti-gloss coat. My steps are following:

1. Polish with "Ultimate polish"; W
  2. Wipe off by Eraser;
  3. Apply opti-gloss coat by Optimum Opti Dual Pro Applicator;
  4. Cloudy paint :(

I try again the above steps one more time and still got the cloudy. I read somewhere that the "Ultimate polish" could be the reason!

Can the replacement of "Ultimate polish" by "Optimum Polish II" or "Optimum Hyper Polish" solve my issue?

Is "Optimum Polish II" or "Optimum Hyper Polish" best suitable?

Many thanks.

Optimum does not test it's products with competitors, but in general the Optimum Synergy works best staying within a product family. Many other polishes have heavy oils which if not removed, cause bonding issues with Coatings. We recommend Hyper Polish - it's cut is flexible depending on speed and pad choice, it has long work time/doesn't dust, and it's chemistry syncs with Gloss-Coat. After Hyper Polish a simple wipe down (preferably with Paint Prep) is all that's necessary before applying Gloss-Coat.

I recently have cloudy issues after applying opti-gloss coat. My steps are following:

1. Polish with "Ultimate polish"; W
  2. Wipe off by Eraser;
  3. Apply opti-gloss coat by Optimum Opti Dual Pro Applicator;
  4. Cloudy paint :(

I try again the above steps one more time and still got the cloudy. I read somewhere that the "Ultimate polish" could be the reason!

Can the replacement of "Ultimate polish" by "Optimum Polish II" or "Optimum Hyper Polish" solve my issue?

Is "Optimum Polish II" or "Optimum Hyper Polish" best suitable?

Many thanks.

I'm familiar with the products you have used. Ultimate Polish is a great product but it also contains quite a bit of polishing oils. It will darken the paint substantially. I have used eraser prior to applying gloss coat and I did not have any issues. This was prior to paint prep being available. I have since switched over to paint prep exclusively.

In saying this, how many times did you go around the vehicle with an eraser wipedown? On that same vehicle I coated and used eraser and a non optimum polish (same family as what you used but with less oils), I went around 3 times to ensure all the polishing oils were removed. There has been a lot of talk about eraser containing surfactants. I don't know if it does. But I can say that Optimum Paint Prep clearly states on the label that it does not.

I have used both a suede applicator and the included blue foam applicator with gloss coat. Both worked flawlessly. I do like the dual applicator with opti-seal. I don't see any issues with the applicator.

What have you washed the car with since you coated the vehicle? Not all car shampoos are created equally.

Do you notice the cloudy appearance on the entire vehicle?