Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

On 8/31/2015 at 2:10 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

All Optimum coatings were formulated to bond to clear coats (2 stage), but have been successfully applied to single stage paints. If Opti-Coat did not bond, it's unlikely that Gloss-Coat will.

Hi I have a question last weekend I had a paint correction and opti gloss coat applied topped with opti seal my question is can I still apply the opti coat pro+ ?

You can apply Opti-Coat Pro over Gloss-Coat, but need to remove the Opti-Seal first.  A good decontamination wash will work - Power Clean or Paint Prep.  IPA is a less reliable option.  None of these cleaners will remove either Coating.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This will be my first experience with a coating and as soon as the weather gets consistently better here I plan to Gloss-Coat the wife's Honda CRV and there are a couple of steps I'm not sure about (#4, 6, 8, & 9):

1.  Wash and rinse

2.  FerreX, agitate with sponge or brush as needed, then rinse.

3.  Clay the car using ONR as clay lube and Opti-Clay

4. Wash, and do I need to dry before using Hyper-Polish?

5. Polish with Hyper Polish

6.  Do I need to wash again or can I go straight to Optimum Paint Prep?

7.  Apply Gloss-Coat

8.  I have Opti-Glass for the front windshield, but should I use that on all windows or Gloss-Coat on all glass except the windshield?

9.  I've read about topping Gloss-Coat with Opti-Seal while it cures, but my version of Opti-Seal is version 1, is it OK to use it on Gloss-Coat?

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 hours ago, Eliot Ness said:

This will be my first experience with a coating and as soon as the weather gets consistently better here I plan to Gloss-Coat the wife's Honda CRV and there are a couple of steps I'm not sure about (#4, 6, 8, & 9):

1.  Wash, rinse, dry

2.  FerreX, rinse, dry

3.  Clay the car using ONR as clay lube and Opti-Clay

4. Polish with Hyper Polish

5.  Paint Prep

6.  Apply Gloss-Coat

8.  Apply Opti- Seal 1 hour aft er the last coat. 

9. I have Opti-Glass for the front windshield, but should I use that on all windows or Gloss-Coat on all glass except the windshield?

I made some slight changes to your process. 

With regards to opti-glass you can use it on all glass.  It is up to you on which way to proceed. 

Dry the car befire polishing.

You dont have to wash after polishing, you can use paint prep.

Use one or the other. I would go with glass coat.

Opti seal V1 will be fine.

The rest of the procedure is spot on. Be sure to clean the pad often or change it with a fresh pad. I have about 5 before I clean them all and continue polishing.

OK, just one more question (I think!).   I saw a video of Anthony applying an Optimum pro coating by putting the foam applicator in a latex/nitrile glove and then using a blue paper shop towel on top of that to apply the coating.  Which of the following three methods are best for applying Gloss-Coat:

1.  The blue foam applicator that came with the Gloss-Coat?

2.  The blue paper shop towel method?

3.  A small square foam applicator wrapped in a suede cloth?

Thanks again!