Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

A major distributor (Autogeek) tested FerreX by letting dry on the surface (something you would never do with competitors) and it came off with a damp sponge, removing all contaminants with it. The surfactants may not work as fast as dedicated tar removers, but they do work and are safer on your paint.

• 5 months later...

Hardness of the almost all coatings is so where between 7h-9h. But, what many people want to know is actually how hard will it make my paint to scratch. When a thin layer of coating is applied to any substrate it will improve the scratch resistance, but it doesn't necessarily make it as hard as the coating alone. For example, adding a 9h paint coating to paint that has 5h hardness uncoated will likely improve it to 7h...but not all the way to 9h because of the softness of the substrate.

Thanks for your reply, Chris. So, do you mean the substrate (with lower hardness) will decrease the hardness of the coating itself ? If that's the case, if the car coated with Opti-Pro+, is the surface hardness will drop lower than 9H? I am not good in physics, so, I want to understand more before customer has some deep question on coating. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am considering if I would go for Gloss coat or not. The problem is I dont have a garage so the application will have to be done out in the open.

So questions:

1) How long does the coating cure? Ive read 24h somewhere

2) Could outside dust stick permanently to the coating? Should I worry about it?

3) Would you recomend applying out in the open - done in lets say summer time?

Not used any OPT coatings but suspect the dust issue would only be relevant during the application of OptiGloss or the initial flashing so when working outside use common sense and don't do anything on a windy day or during a sand storm

we have a number of mobile detailers who apply Gloss-Coat (and Opti-Coat Pro) outside. You want to avoid blowing dust for sure, but the surface cures very quickly and we've had no issues with contamination during coating. The vehicle can be driven in 1 hour, washed with soap in 7 days.

Lowejackson and some others gave me an idea to apply a carnaube wax after applying Gloss coat.

So could I apply OCW on top of Gloss coat after application to shield it from the enviroment and to give it time to cure properly? How long would I have to wait to apply it (an hour, maybe more)? Or should I go with another carnauba paste wax?