Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

I just wiped the paint by Eraser one time after polishing. This could be the reason :(.

I applied Opti-gloss on roof and 02 door panels; found darkened patches appeared randomly. I thought that caused by my Opti-gloss application was wrong. Therefore, I polished those panels and did it all again but unfortunately cannot solve the issue. I polished again and search for the reasons :).

I'm familiar with the products you have used. Ultimate Polish is a great product but it also contains quite a bit of polishing oils. It will darken the paint substantially. I have used eraser prior to applying gloss coat and I did not have any issues. This was prior to paint prep being available. I have since switched over to paint prep exclusively.

In saying this, how many times did you go around the vehicle with an eraser wipedown? On that same vehicle I coated and used eraser and a non optimum polish (same family as what you used but with less oils), I went around 3 times to ensure all the polishing oils were removed. There has been a lot of talk about eraser containing surfactants. I don't know if it does. But I can say that Optimum Paint Prep clearly states on the label that it does not.

I have used both a suede applicator and the included blue foam applicator with gloss coat. Both worked flawlessly. I do like the dual applicator with opti-seal. I don't see any issues with the applicator.

What have you washed the car with since you coated the vehicle? Not all car shampoos are created equally.

Do you notice the cloudy appearance on the entire vehicle?

I am ordering Optimum products to do it again as following:

• Optimum Hyper Polish;
  • Optimum Finish;
  • Optimum Paint Prep.

Hope that I can resolve the issue easily.

By the way, whether the Optimum Finish's chemistry syncs with Opti-gloss coat or not?

Many thanks!

Optimum does not test it's products with competitors, but in general the Optimum Synergy works best staying within a product family. Many other polishes have heavy oils which if not removed, cause bonding issues with Coatings. We recommend Hyper Polish - it's cut is flexible depending on speed and pad choice, it has long work time/doesn't dust, and it's chemistry syncs with Gloss-Coat. After Hyper Polish a simple wipe down (preferably with Paint Prep) is all that's necessary before applying Gloss-Coat.

I am ordering Optimum products to do it again as following:

• Optimum Hyper Polish;
  • Optimum Finish;
  • Optimum Paint Prep.

Hope that I can resolve the issue easily.

By the way, whether the Optimum Finish's chemistry syncs with Opti-gloss coat or not?

Many thanks!

I would consider adding a coat of opti-seal after an hour of applying gloss coat. It will protect gloss coat during the 7 day curing window.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally applied opti-gloss coat successfully after many rounds of polishing - applying - polishing...:(

The problem was my method which applied too thick layer and waited too long before wiping away the high spots. I found that a suede microfiber wrapping around a foam applicator is easy for me.

I wasted 20cc without covering my whole car :(. I am ordering another one!!!

Thanks all for your advises.

• 1 month later...

I finally applied opti-gloss coat successfully after many rounds of polishing - applying - polishing... :(

The problem was my method which applied too thick layer and waited too long before wiping away the high spots. I found that a suede microfiber wrapping around a foam applicator is easy for me.

I wasted 20cc without covering my whole car :(. I am ordering another one!!!

Thanks all for your advises.

So you still used Ultimate Polish...and it didn't cause issues?

• 2 weeks later...

I used the opti-gloss coat last weekend and 99% turned out really well. However on the last panel I believe a few drops of sweat had dripped on the surface I was finishing. I guess I didnt see them and applied the product. Now after 3 days in the sun you can see those spots. What can I do?