Ron Harris

Optimum Gloss-Coat

78 posts in this topic

A bit of a daft question but...Gloss coat instructions say to apply it after polishing with hyper polish...But is Intensive polish also as compatible as Hyper polish?

Im 99% certain it is but I just gotta ask!

yes, you can use Intensive Polish or Hyper Compound as well as Hyper Polish. The key is Optimum polishes do not contain oils that create bonding issues, but have other components that assist coatings.

Is there any benefit from applying 2 coats of gloss-coat? If so, how much time does the first coat need to cure (Im thinking 1h)?

Besides even coverage, you get more gloss. 1 hour between coats is recommended.

Another recommendation is using opti-seal 1 hour after the last coat to protect gloss coat during the 7 day curing window.

Thanks Guz for answering what I wanted to know....BTW I know about the opti-seal trick as its what I do because I dont have a garage to keep the car in.

The Guz, as usual, is correct. Additional coats (after 1 hour) will ensure compete coverage and increase gloss, they do not add durability. Opti-Seal is another way to accomplish the same protection.

The Guz likes this

Thanks Guz for answering what I wanted to know....BTW I know about the opti-seal trick as its what I do because I dont have a garage to keep the car in.

Sure thing. .

...and thank you Ron :spoton[1]: So basically one good coat followed by opti seal should give me the same durability as 2 coats followed by opti-seal?

Had anyone ever tried to use gloss coat on WeatherTech floor mats? It's a similar product to trim and could greatly increase the life of the mats without adding a slick surface.

6 hours ago, SumBeach said:

Bump...still interested to know if gloss coat can be used for weathertech mats??

I would just clean them every so often and not worry about coating them. 

I've never heard of someone coating floor mats but I don't think there would be any issues.  I'd agree with A&J/Guz that it's an expensive and somewhat short range solution.  Something like Protection Plus would seem a better choice.

SumBeach likes this