Porsche Bumper Wetsanding

Anthony Orosco

Ron and I filmed a tutorial of sorts on wetsanding. The victim is an 06 black Porsche Boxster which had some funky fallout on the plastic areas of the car. It only affected the front and rear bumpers and side view mirrors. The odd thing is that not all areas had it like this Porsche only had it on the front bumpers and side view mirrors but nothing showed up on the rear bumper.

Other had it on the rear only while nothing on the front......it most likely occurred during our recent freeze we had here. Something caustic may have been either on the car already or present in the rain. The rain then froze on the car repeated times causing the contaminates to etch into the plastic pieces. That's our theory at this point.

Anyway on to the videos. I'm filming and Ron is doing all the work plus narrating and he did a great job in both areas. With a bit of practice he could do the local news :lol:

Wetsanding 1

Wetsanding 2

Start Buffing

More Buffing

Swirl Removal

Swirl Remover 2

Finish Polishing

Cyclo

GREAT WORK! That's exactly what i needed!

A question. If you were doing a repair to a key scratch or paint chip, would you have used a more aggressive paper to help smooth the edges the damaged area? I'm going to be working on a number of these type blemishes, then touching up the paint afterwards. Then I'll need to re-level the imperfection area. Luckily it's all black, so paint matching shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks for the great video.

Unfortunately the music choices gives away our relative ages!

The water bucket has been around for a long time and worked on lots of BMW's.

I love watching detailing videos! Thanks for making them.

One note.

You guys were using alot of OP on that green pad. I would have used no more than 1/3 of the amount.

Can you explain?

I love watching detailing videos! Thanks for making them.

One note.

You guys were using alot of OP on that green pad. I would have used no more than 1/3 of the amount.

Can you explain?

For me I like to give my pad a good priming when I start buffing.

I might have benn a little over kill after that but not by much.

GREAT WORK! That's exactly what i needed!

A question. If you were doing a repair to a key scratch or paint chip, would you have used a more aggressive paper to help smooth the edges the damaged area? I'm going to be working on a number of these type blemishes, then touching up the paint afterwards. Then I'll need to re-level the imperfection area. Luckily it's all black, so paint matching shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks for the great video.

Unfortunately the music choices gives away our relative ages!

This is a tough question to answer. If the damage is light enough you might not even consider touching up the key scratch. Doing so will make it more visible.

If I’m going to try and touch up something like this I don’t sand first. I will fill first not too much because it is a pain to sand when you have this big glob of product. Also could cause you to sand through the clear around the touch up area.

For paper I would use 3000 to start it can be fairly aggressive when fresh. I like to wrap my fresh paper around my block. Doing this will lessen the chance of you doing damage. If you cant find 3000 then 200 will work. I would rather see some one work with the finer papers in the beginning to lessen the chance for damage.

Thank you for all the kind words every one. I personaly can't watch the videos. I makes me sick just to listen to my voice and stumble over my words. This was done spur of the moment with no planing on my part. Anthony may have been planing it just to make me look like an ass :lol:

The one thing I think people are missing is the fact that only Optimum Polish was used.

If we were useing the new Solo we would have had to finish off with a different product. Even the directions on the Solo bottle say this.

Great work guys. That is pretty cool that you used one product through the whole process. Did you take any before/after photos? The camera did a good job of explaining the process but it doesn't do justice for the view. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

I agree with Moe, the videos do a great job showing what to do but the video quality (probably due to compression for uploading) makes it hard to see just how good it turned out. Still shots (if you have them) would be a great addition to this thread or another demonstration.

Sorry guys but the car sold Monday morning and it's now gone so we didn't get any after sun shots but the salesman told us it looked great.

I do though have a few pictures I'll be posting up of a wetsand job I did on a black Pontiac....it's a housekeeper of one of my doctor clients and his little kid drew all over it with a stick!

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Ron or Anthony,

Nice video I must say :beerchug[1]:

One question I want to ask. The wool pad you got there, it seem pretty flexy. Where you get them from and what brand is that? The one I using from Meg, its stiff and doesnt flex like Ron was showing.. TIA

ken

Hey Ken,

They are from Optimum and I'll have them up on the Optimum Store tomorrow. I'll post up a link when done.

Thanks,

Anthony

Cool Anthony I have been looking for a good wool pad for a "just in case" purchase. I would also like to have one for work on gel coats on boats and have heard that a wool works better for that purpose or at least quicker. Is that the case? And I also really liked how you guys were able to finish out with just the OP.

Thanks

Archived