ONRWW safe when sand or mud is present?

Guest Novagloss

Guest Novagloss

Hi guys,

I've ordered my first ONRWW for my 2 week old (pollen and dust covered) car and will be trying it out this week when all the supplies arrive. I have two unanswered lingering questions though:

1) what if there's sand or mud stuck on lower areas such as bumpers, wheel wells, and the strips under the doors. I would be very afraid the rinseless wash method would cause these to scratch the paint. Suggestions?

2) what about all the spots that one will be skipping such as the painted channels around the trunk and hood which are only see when it's opened. These are at least rinsed out during a regular hose wash. Or should one simply perform the rinseless wash to those too?

Thanks!

It's hard to believe upfront, but the polymers in ONR protect against marring. For really bad spots - heavy dirt buildup, bugs, tar, brake dust, etc pre-spray with ONR at Quick Detailer formula (10 oz to 1 gallon of water), then wash as usual. ONR works in all the out of the way spots as well.

Ron has answered most of your questions, but depending on the reasons you are using a rinseless wash, you have some other options as well. Ron noted the pre-soaking of heavy soil (a pump-up garden sprayer is good for this). You can also go to a self-service car wash and use the pressure spray, before using the rinseless wash, or use a pressure washer or the flat spray from a good garden hose nozzle at home. Again, some of these may not be possible depending on the reasons you are doing a rinseless wash.

As far as the inaccessible areas, you are never going to get the kind of flushing that you would get from a hose, but for areas like door jambs you can simply the same type of wash media that you use on the rest of the car for those areas. The really tight areas (like the trunk jambs) you may need to spray (trigger bottle) the ONRWW, and perhaps use a dedicated towel for wiping those areas (as they will be dirtier after washing than the areas you can more easily access).

Guest Novagloss

Thanks guys. Did my first wash, but didn't rinse the pollen off first. I was told by several detailers that presoaking it with ONR from a spray bottle should be enough to encapsulate it. Car seems swirl free....

Power washing at a carwash or home is a great way to eliminate off light dirt/pollen, just make sure you dry to avoid water spots. I like to use ONR, Wax, or Instant Detailer when drying - aids the drying, adds protection/gloss, and reduces marring.

Guest Novagloss

I hope I didn't mess up my paint by not first rinsing the pollen off... I looked carefully and can't see swirls though.

• 2 months later...

In the spring I have issues with pollen using ONR. Never tried rinsing before using the product. I have done a traditional car wash and followed up with ONR as a detail spray to remove water spots.. A little off topic but I use ONRWW on my lawnmower and the dirt is easily rinsed off with a quick spray of the hose and wiped down for an instant shine and more protection.

• 1 year later...

What about moderate road grime? See picture: http://www.ecotouch.net/blog/how-dirty-is-too-dirty-for-a-waterless-car-wash/

There is some sand-like material on the sides and at the back of the car. Could one carefully, using a Zymöl Sponge (the dirt is not left to "roll" under this sponge which is great), wash the car in the garage with ONR, if one would very frequently rinse the sponge in a second bucket of ONR?

I know the best solution would be to get a quick rinse somewhere but it's freezing out there.

I would still use onr on the moderate to heavy buildup its just that I would pre rinse it very well and do a couple of passes with the sponge before I would wipe it dry. I would also use the second bucket as my rinse bucket and rinse the towel quite often and change the rinse water if needed.

I would not wash mud and heavy buildup this way.

Thanks for your answer but I didn't wait for it because I went to ONR-wash my moderate dirty car in my garage! :P

I did this:

- I used 2 buckets (with 10,5l of water), one for the rinsing of the sponge with gritguard + washboard and ONR, and a second bucket with ONRWW with only a gritguard.

- I used a 1.5l Mesto Cleaner compression sprayer with clay-level of ONR to "rinse" the car. I used 2 of those and on the first round I let the ONR dwell for a minute. Noticed that a bigger compression sprayer would have been better. It did get dirt away from cracks and so on using this technic.

- Used the Zymöl Sponge using straight line passes over the paint and only one pass was enough to get it clean(!) but went over the dirty parts about three times.

The result? A clean car and no new swirls that I could see with with my lights.

Of course the sides feel a bit rough, would need Power Clean or something but I don't care about that in the winter (we have -1 Celsus outside and it is probably getting colder tomorrow, about -10). There was hardly any ONRWW solution left but I can reuse the ONR solution in the rinsing bucket.

Archived