Gloss-Coat over OC Pro?

drl2

I've been led to believe that the new Opti-Coat Pro Plus is OC Pro with a layer of gloss-coat or something very similar, but I'm curious whether the newer Opti Gloss product will adhere over an existing OC coating? Given OCP's repellant properties I'm guessing not, but wanted to check here.

I had a local detailer do OCPro last year on a new vehicle and while I'm happy with the protection & easy washing it provides, I'd like to see the kind of gloss/depth from it that I used to get from wax/sealant products on a non-coated surface (and without it wearing off in a few days' time).

First, Plus has similar characteristics to Gloss-Coat (greater gloss & slickness) but is harder with greater durability. Yes, you can apply Gloss-Coat over OCP to achieve the long term shine & depth you desire. You would not apply OCP over Gloss-Coat without preparation, though, because of the bonding issue.

First, Plus has similar characteristics to Gloss-Coat (greater gloss & slickness) but is harder with greater durability. Yes, you can apply Gloss-Coat over OCP to achieve the long term shine & depth you desire. You would not apply OCP over Gloss-Coat without preparation, though, because of the bonding issue.

Great! Hopefully I can get my garage cleaned up enough in the spring to have room to fit a car in there to apply some gloss coat out of direct sunlight. :)

Any surface prep tips specific to gloss application over existing OCP?

• 2 months later...

Starting to piece together a big order of detailing stuff in anticipation of spring and it's got me thinking a little more about the gloss coat over OCP process.

I've seen mention in the GC literature about using non-abrasive wax/polish products over it. Does this mean that these products will last over GC unlike their short lifespan over OCP? I'm unlikely to top the coating, but it does bring up the question: what does this mean for a GC over cured OCP install and its repellency/sheeting/etc properties?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Not sure how to answer, normally I tell people to spray water on a clean car and if it beads, the coating is there.  In the case of Honda's Mystery Coating, it should bead anyway.   I don't know of any manufacturers coating with Gloss-Coat's hardness, gloss, or durability,  so if your car still looks great and sheds dirt/water 6  months from now, you're good to go!

Archived