Optimum Paint Prep

MikeB

I have been coating for awhile but just resently I used the Optimum Paint Prep for a final wipe down before coating instead of alcohol distilled water mix. WOW! What a differance in the application process. The coating is way easier to apply plus it really helps with the coating self leveling. SOLD! I know for some I a behind the curve but just thought I would post it for those who havent tried it.

I agree, paint prep is more than just a wiped own product, it makes an already easy to use coating almost flawless.

By the way it was Chris Thomus that gave me the unsight on this product, thank you Chris!

• 2 months later...

Paint prep...contains the same catalyst that Primer Polish has, so it will help with coating leveling and bonding. .

Um...huh? This would seem to be kind of a big deal that has been kept "secret", I always try to use Hyper Polish before I use an Optimum coating because it's been noted numerous times that this will create a compatible surface (actually it's been stated that any Optimum polish, crème or spray, will do this), but now you're implying that there would be a benefit to using Paint Prep in addition to using an Optimum polish.

I just can't understand why this wouldn't be part of the product description and touted at rollout--but to the contrary, the product page from the OPT store says this: "Optimum Paint Prep™ does not contain any oils or surfactants and leaves no residue behind." Um...no residue except a catalyst that helps with coating leveling and bonding?

Color me confused.

Some of this pro only stuf trickles over to the consumer market, that's why there is limited published info.

But there is no pro equivalent to Paint Prep, is there? So why would OPT add this "feature" to this product and not mention it? It would be a great selling point for the product.

Oh wait a minute, I think I know the answer to that. However, that private label customer botched the marketing on that by claiming that you must use the prep product but not explaining why.

Paint Prep was originally designed for the Pro market, to replace the IPA wipe down step (IPA is a less than perfect cleaner). But interested installers, including Chris, suggested the product had retail consumer applicability and should be sold to the general public. So there was no real marketing push or the associated hyperbole to create a market. Some of Optimum's best products were originally formulated for a specific need and later achieved a more wide spread popularity. Go figure

• 2 weeks later...

My brother is looking for using my optimum paint pred and instant detailer, which I use before and after ocw, on his car with blackfire and adam's paste wax on.

Can he use optimum paint prep and quick detailer before applying paste base waxes?

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know ...

On a brand new car.... Where I just want to apply gloss coat... No correction on the paint..

Can I just use paint prep.....and no polishing?

I keep reading that I need to polish before opti lens or gloss coat... But if the car is perfect and I don't want to put any mild abrasives on the car....the coatings won't bond?

whether to polish or not is your call, but using Prep would be sufficient before applying Gloss-Coat. I've seen Chris recommend polishing new headlights to remove the manufacturers protection before applying Opti-Lens to ensure bonding.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On other forums, they make the claim that products like CarPRO ERASER after m105/m205 prep is not sufficient. Instead they say you must use Hyper compound/Hyper Polish to ensure proper bonding of Optimum Coatings. Will Optimum Paint Prep be sufficient regardless of what compound/polish used by the detailer before applying an Optimum Coating?

Archived