Vinyl Roof Wrap Over OptiCoat

michal

Hello everyone! That's my first post here.

Can vinyl wrap be installed over already OC roof or coating needs to be removed for better adhesion? The installer who will do my roof is not sure and his detailer recommended to remove the OC before installing the vinyl. I was trying to search forum for the answer but I could not find anything. Thanks.

different wrap installers say different things, but I know vinyl has been installed over OCP with no issues. Dr G recommends applying OCP under wrap to protect if it's necessary to remove at a later date...and also over the vinyl for additional protection.

I found this response from Dr. G on different forum a few min ago:

Thank you for your email. I really enjoy your thorough posts on the forums. As you mentioned opti coat has a minor darkening effect on Matt finishes and it will protect them from damage. However as you said you do not want to apply opti coat before putting on stripes since the adhesive will not bond. On the other hand applying opti coat before clear bra will protect the paint without affecting bonding. Let me know how it goes and please share it on line too. Thanks and have a great weekend.

David

I'm confused again. :unsure:

I will check with Dr G, but confusion arises due to the variety of products - vinyl stripes vs vinyl wraps vs clear bras. Add in diverse manufacturers and types of adhesive and you understand how hard it is to give blanket advice.

Polishing the place where the clear bra will be will micro-abrade the Opti-Coat® enough for the adhesive to stick. Ideally, you would install the clear PPF first and use Opti-Coat® over it, since it will perform well on PPF like paint. Polishing Opti-Coat® will void the warranty also, so minimize your area to what you are covering.

Thank you. I'm going to install gloss black vinyl (not clear bra) just on the roof and then use Opticoat over it. I just was not sure about installing it over the Opticoat. By the way, the front of my car was already covered with X-pel clear bra and then Opticoated a year ago and it still looks good.

• 9 months later...
On 6/8/2016 at 6:26 AM, michal said:

Hello everyone! That's my first post here.

Can vinyl wrap be installed over already OC roof or coating needs to be removed for better adhesion? The installer who will do my roof is not sure and his detailer recommended to remove the OC before installing the vinyl. I was trying to search forum for the answer but I could not find anything. Thanks.

Ask help from the veteran installers, why not visit gatorwraps  and request for a quote. I believe they have installers for a vinyl wrap in all major cities.

Archived