New forum idea....

Anthony Orosco

Being an amateur stock buyer I was pondering today while doing some detailing how a forum on stocks, the market and investments would go over with you all?

We could discuss how we buy, what we buy and when we buy. We could also put up who we deal with in buying, do we go with a broker or do we buy and sell (or hold) all on our own?

Any ideas for the name of the forum? I was thinking of calling the "parent" category "Bulls and Bears", how's that sound?

I think most people fear the market and think only super wealthy people can buy stock or the super intelligent but I play the market and I'm not wealthy nor very smart :huh:

So give me some feedback folks.....

Anthony

a couple of things.

1. We'll get a lot more spam from stock scammers.

2. Because of that it would be better to make that a members only area, but I don't think that's really what you had in mind.

3. I like banning spammers! BRING EM ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Being an amateur stock buyer I was pondering today while doing some detailing how a forum on stocks, the market and investments would go over with you all?

We could discuss how we buy, what we buy and when we buy. We could also put up who we deal with in buying, do we go with a broker or do we buy and sell (or hold) all on our own?

Any ideas for the name of the forum? I was thinking of calling the "parent" category "Bulls and Bears", how's that sound?

I think most people fear the market and think only super wealthy people can buy stock or the super intelligent but I play the market and I'm not wealthy nor very smart :huh:

So give me some feedback folks.....

Anthony

Anthony-

Many invest in stocks, as do I. I think this is a great idea and I'm sure well intended. However, there are so many web sites devoted to this and some might come on here to find THE secret formula and start following advice or recommendations that don't turn out the way they think they should and you could end up having a lot of hurt feelings?

OTOH, your point about perceptions and fears relating to the market are well taken. For me, it's a hobby--something to keep the brain cells working. Maybe an overall financial planning type discussion forum where we can share ideas about a mix of invetsment stratagies, share web links, reference books etc would be more beneficial? Tax tips, real estate investments, 401s, 579s etc.

I will throw out the first recommendation for a good book. Actually a couple. Psychocybernetics. This is an old book, written by a plastic surgeon in response to his observations of patients who came to him for plastic surgery and him noticing that they're psyches sometimes remained unchanged after surgeries. It's not one of those rah, rah type self help books. It has several mental exercises in it to help you focus and achieve your goals.

Another is The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Many have probably heard of one or both of these books. Mind set is something oftern over looked in investing.

:beerchug[1]:

I would like to have a forum for Music and one for Racing like F1, WRC, NASCAR

How bout a forum for Mixed Martial Arts like UFC?

Sound like some good ideas to add to the forum. some seem to be hobbies while other are more geared toward financial opinion and experience. how about a section that is dedicated to pictures. maybe vacation ones, cool cars, boats or things you do not see everyday? just a thought. I do understand if the picture thing may not work due to the space pics may take up unless we post from places like photobucket . have to admit I do take a few hmm hmm hmm hundred at a time ha ha ha ha ha ha . curious to see what other will come up with as well :beerchug[1]:

All good ideas.

Ofcourse we already have a forum for all of these...it's called the lounge.

That Is our Off Topic area. As such, if you have an interest, like Martial Arts, or racing, post up a thread. Title the thread the "Martial Arts" thread, or the Racing thread. Send a pm to one of the admins letting us know that you'd like to have a thread strictly about "pictures taken by members" and post up the thread. In your post, tell everyone what your thread is about and what you'd like the rules to be. For example, Rennlist has a "random pics" thread. The rules are that if you post in that thread you MUST post a random Pic or your post will end up getting deleted by the admin...and I propmise you it DOES GET DELETED, and usually with a smart butt comment about not being smart enough to figure out a random pic thread lol. Pelican Parts also has the same kind of thread. Both are well over 500 pages long.

So, rather than start an entire forum area for a specific topic, start a thread. Just do it. Keep the rules in mind vis a vis our decency standards, and post away!

Personally I'll be all over the racing thread as well as picture threads. I'm a bit surprised that we haven't had anyone start an optimum college basketball pool or atleast a thread about the tourney.

I look forward to this area really getting rolling. I usually enjoy off topic areas of forums and it's my feeling that they often tend to be a driving force in keeping a forum alive and growing. :beerchug[1]::(

• 3 weeks later...

I am in favor of the idea especially if it considers those that you mentioned......scared to death of the market. I have reasonable smarts and some money to invest but I haven't a clue as to who to trust or what to do. Also consider I will be 58 on Easter Sunday so 10-20 year investments are likely out of the question. Who knows when their number will be called? Make it simple and I'm all for it.

I am in favor of the idea especially if it considers those that you mentioned......scared to death of the market. I have reasonable smarts and some money to invest but I haven't a clue as to who to trust or what to do. Also consider I will be 58 on Easter Sunday so 10-20 year investments are likely out of the question. Who knows when their number will be called? Make it simple and I'm all for it.

I'm talking with a good friend of mine about coming on over and running this type of forum. He's pretty much a financial wiz kinda guy. He may not tell you what stocks to buy but he can answer alot of questions about funds, long and short term investments.....and he also needs his MB detailed :thumbsupup[1]:

Anthony

Archived