2016 SEMA Speculation Thread

Setec Astronomy

I know it's a little early (show is over 6 weeks away), and it's already way too late to give any new product ideas, but what do you guys think we'll see or hope we'll see? Or maybe it will be one of those years with no new products.

I'd like to see a consumer version of the Pro trim coatings, and a tire coating.

Also, we haven't seen a tweaked version of ONR for 4 or 5 years, maybe something is in the pipe for that. I personally would love to see it tweaked to not stain the wash media. I know, I know, we're always told that the staining doesn't hurt anything, yada yada, but it makes it difficult to see how much dirt is coming off the car, and therefore how many passes you need, how often you need to rinse, and how careful you have to be.

If that's not making sense, I can explain it further. FWIW, from my reading other forums, it seems like ONR has become the "gateway rinseless", in that people perceive it to be a kind of entry-level mediocre product, that you then move on from. I'm sure part of that is the flavor-of-the-month marketing that store-owned forums practice and that OPT is the diametrical opposite of.

Anyway, perhaps a new-improved version of ONR would dispel some of that. There is also the announced-yesterday departure of Meguiar's D114 Rinse-Free Express Wash. This has become the defacto "leave nothing behind" rinseless wash, although I'm not sure how people think ONR doesn't fall into that category also.

So perhaps a revitalized ONR emphasizing a squeaky clean ready-for-whatever surface will win back those D114 users (although I'm pretty sure that Dr. G has said that ONR leaves the surface ready for anything, even coatings).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree a tweaked ONR should be on-deck. I still have ONR (blue and green) but reach for others sometimes due to the staining issue.

I would also like to see them release Primer Polish to consumers for those who use Gloss Coat. Similar to the primer base of Essence for C-Quartz.

I would also like to see them release Primer Polish to consumers for those who use Gloss Coat. Similar to the primer base of Essence for C-Quartz.

There are certain items that (perhaps due to vocal members of the Authorized Installer base) they seem to want to keep pro-only, like the interior coating, and the trim coatings; Primer seems to fall into that category.

Although I think it's silly to think that someone who would go to a pro installer would attempt to do it themselves (the argument being the pro installers are losing a customer), I have come to realize that the issue (as it was with OC 2.0) is that a non-authorized installer could buy the OTC products and undercut the Authorized installer and perhaps sully the OPT or Authorized installer reputation.

Setec & Todd, I appreciate the speculation and am curious myself. I know there are products in "the hopper" and can't speak to pro vs. retail. Dr G has his own internal time clock for introductions and while as a sales & marketing guy I'm always impatient, his instincts have been right on target.

An OPT version of Essence would be welcome. As paints become thinner on newer cars there is a big advantage in a glaze which works perfectly with a coating.

For sometime my thoughts on Optiseal is whilst it is a good solid product, in the last few years the competition has caught up. Not all of them are WOWA products but are very very easy to apply and remove and most have greater durability. What we need (IMO) is a more durable version or maybe do some kind of clever chemistry where Paint Prep positively interacts to noticeably boost performance.

My interest in pro products is minor, here in the UK we have about 4 dealers and the cost of having fancy coatings applied to my car would cost about the value of my car, so my interest is very much with the consumer range.

Like some mentioned I to would love to see the primer polish on the consumer shelfs. Other than that its hard to imagine what else is missing in the product line except a tar & glue remover.

Of course tweaked versions of products are always welcome. I would also love to see Glass-coat be more wallet friendly :P.

interesting that you mentioned Opti-Seal - I've never used the competitors so can't speak to that, but can tell you there's been a renewed interest in that product. An increased number of youtube/facebook/forum mentions of use as a drying aid has caused a surge in sales. Optimum is gaining mainstream recognition because I'm answering calls from more new/first time users and the questions are across the product line ( though most commonly ONR, Gloss-Coat, and Opti-Seal). I believe the general public is using searches to become familiar with advanced car care and that's a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

More hydrophobic Opti Seal

Opti Lens that actually holds up and works

A water based tire dressing that lasts for a month minimum on a outside parked daily driver, or a tire coating

A filling primer polish that you can coat over

Hyper polish easier to wipe off

ONR that does not stain wash media

An AIO polish that actually provides 6 month protection on a outside parked daily driver

Just a couple off the top of my head....

I would like to see Opti Seal upgrade in performance and speed of sheeting (like the performance of collinite 845) as oppose to looking so slow to sheet like if there was no wax on the panel. Also add UV inhibitors like in CAR WAX, that way you are also feeding the clear coat and replenishing the UV. Why have Car Wax and Opti Seal...when you can just make Optiseal the only WOWA sealant that actually has incredible water performance and UV inhibitors?

Also ONR upgrade for no staining on media.

Just heard Optimum will soon release their own version of clear bra.

Yup. Dann Williams has mentioned it a few times on the optimum synergy podcast as well as Dr. G on the Cars Yeah podcast.

Can you give us some explanation of that for those of us who don't want to listen to a bunch of podcasts trying to find this one tidbit?

Can you give us some explanation of that for those of us who don't want to listen to a bunch of podcasts trying to find this one tidbit?

Optimum will be introducing their paint protection film. X Pel and 3M are the bigger well known companies that develop and sell paint protection film aka the clear car bra. Optimum will introduce it at SEMA.

The other thing I heard on today's podcast is that Optimum has developed a spray on bedliner. It can be sprayed out of the optimum gun that is used to spray opti-bond. It was not clear if it will be introduced at SEMA.

Archived