My formula for fantastic Quick Detailer

Jim Busch

I have been experimenting for some time to find a way to use ONR as a detailer that I actually liked as much or more than many of the commercial QD products available. I used the typical recommended mixture of 1 OZ onr to 16 oz of distilled water (and various other mixture ratios) but I wasn't happy with the results. Didn't feel slippery and lubricated when I wiped off with a microfiber cloth and not much shine to write home about either. I have to say I have some of the OQD but I don't really like it that much.

Here is how I make the stuff now:

I use an empty ONR bottle 32 oz size with a sprayer from an old QD bottle.

I put in 2 oz of ONR.

I put in 1/8 oz of optimum car wax.

I fill the rest to the top with distilled water.

This little bit of added car wax changes the entire process. Slick to wipe on and just a quick second wipe and its gone. Shine is great and it is smooth to the touch.

I'm sure other people have discovered this before, but if you haven't give it a try as it really works for me.

I have never been an Instant Detailer guy, mainly because I use Wax or Seal during the drying process. I've used Opti-Clean for quick waterless cleanups as well. I mentioned under another tab using OID on water spots and being very impressed not only with the results, but the gloss and protection through a serious rainstorm.

Your methodology is similar to how Dr G developed ONRWW - we experimented with different formulas on our cars in the parking lot, compared the shine and ease of application, then had Roberto (Warehouse Mgr with the most sensitive touch) rate slickness. Might not fit your image of a high tech chemical company, but real life tests are most important.

Ron I have become addicted to using Seal as my drying agent. Anything else just doesn't work as well. The shine is amazing. Still I like to use a detailer for small issues that pop up while I'm working (things like birds and bugs etc.). I think these products work so well together through the entire line really that it just begs for some experimentation. The real world product development/testing you do really shows up in the finished products that end up in the customers hands.

Jim, we sure like to think our approach works - Optimum brand is an instant success that took 15 years to get there. It's fun to engage our employees in the process and ultimately they become our most sincere spokespeople and koolaid drinkers!

I have been experimenting for some time to find a way to use ONR as a detailer that I actually liked as much or more than many of the commercial QD products available. I used the typical recommended mixture of 1 OZ onr to 16 oz of distilled water (and various other mixture ratios) but I wasn't happy with the results. Didn't feel slippery and lubricated when I wiped off with a microfiber cloth and not much shine to write home about either. I have to say I have some of the OQD but I don't really like it that much.

Here is how I make the stuff now:

I use an empty ONR bottle 32 oz size with a sprayer from an old QD bottle.

I put in 2 oz of ONR.

I put in 1/8 oz of optimum car wax.

I fill the rest to the top with distilled water.

This little bit of added car wax changes the entire process. Slick to wipe on and just a quick second wipe and its gone. Shine is great and it is smooth to the touch.

I'm sure other people have discovered this before, but if you haven't give it a try as it really works for me.

Definitely worth a try. I started adding 5-10ml of OCW to 2 gallons of ONR wash solution. It helps with the wash and drying as the water sheets faster.

You're right, Scott was one of the first to add Wax to ONR and there was so much interest we created ONRWW. Now the hot topic is drying aids and Spray Wax, Opti-Seal, and Instant Detailer are all being used in that manner. By the way, Scott drives through Memphis every year and spends an afternoon with Dr G, just a talking products, methods, etc.

Archived