Optimum Hyper Compound dusting. What am I doing wrong?

bird-keeper

I don't know about other manufacturers but GM started using base/clear paint in the mid 80s, at least for f-bodies.

Interesting, thank you. I thought there was clear paint on some high end vehicles by the early 90's but clearly it goes back further than that. Thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not exactly sure why this is so important, but I was THERE during the testing and development of the new Hyper Compound. When Dr G finalized the new HC formula, the decision was made to slot the old product into the middle of the Hyper line and name it Intensive Polish. There was no change in formula.

Setec, I think the "non spray Hyper Compound" you referred to is Compound ll, a paste that's still available.

To be more accurate, Optimum makes many changes to formulas, more like tweeks, without announcing them. Sometimes the improvements are small things David feels with increase durability, cleaning, or cut, etc. Sometimes the formula change is forced - for example, several years ago the source for one component of Opti-Seal discontinued manufacturing it and there was no obvious substitute. Dr G found an alternative that actually improved the product slightly, so Optimum never mentioned it.

not exactly sure why this is so important, but I was THERE during the testing and development of the new Hyper Compound. When Dr G finalized the new HC formula, the decision was made to slot the old product into the middle of the Hyper line and name it Intensive Polish. There was no change in formula.

You stated earlier that colors have been changed without changing the formula, but the case above, there was no color change, it was a NAME change to the orange product, and when the color of HC was changed from orange to white, there was certainly a formula change. Why is this so important? People come to the manufacturer's forum to get ACCURATE INFORMATION, and that's all I'm asking for.

Setec, I think the "non spray Hyper Compound" you referred to is Compound ll, a paste that's still available.

Sorry, not even close. I really don't know how long you've been working for Optimum, but this was the original Hyper Compound, circa 2006, back before the OPT polishes became "water based". The Hyper Compound came out after Polish and Compound because people didn't think the Compound had enough cut (things never seem to change much, eh?) Compound and Polish would have been what Anthony Orosco and Dr. G would have been demonstrating in whatever GM plant that was in TX, when Anthony dreamed up Opti-Coat after a few margaritas with Dr. G at dinner (according to his story).

gallery_6790_46_47273.jpg

gallery_6790_46_142761.jpg

If did a quick search for the part number HC2005 and found this safety sheet dated Oct 2005 http://www.autoklene.com/attachments

/msds/optimum_hyper_compound-msds175016.pdf

Well spotted, Lowe!

I guess based on that, they were "water-based" back then as well. Interestingly, the part number seems to embody the year the formula came out; I looked at my bottles of Polish and Compound that I also bought in 2006 and the P/N's were OP2004 and OC2005 (the Q on the end of the P/N's are for the quart size). If you look at the current MSDS (the one avail for download here) for the polishes, the cremes end in 2009, although the bottles I have say 2008.

Interestingly, looking at the product codes in the Opti-Coat.net store, they are as follows: OF2011, OP2011, OC2011, HP2010, IP2015, HC2015.

So if that is correct, and from what I can see on the forum, the "current generation" of polishes came out (SEMA?) in 2008, and there was a formula change in 2011 (perhaps that was when the rancidity problems were addressed). It also would appear that I owe Ron an apology, because if we go by the product codes it would appear that when they changed the colors of the Hyper products in 2014, the formula for the polish remained unchanged (HP2010), although as evidenced by the quote from Yvan that I posted earlier, the compound did not.

Unfortunately we've lost a lot of forum content on these products, and in the case of the original OPT polishes, they predate the forum, which was only started in 2007.

Lowe, I never answered your question concerning how much product is released in 1 trigger pull because of variables. Not only can trigger pulls vary, but sprayers do as well. Optimum uses at least 4 different spray heads, based on the product.

Setec, you've figured out the secret product code we use - the year for each formula. And for True Confessions, I have never seen the original Hyper Compound you pictured (not even on a shelf). I met David in 2005 when he joined a group of business owners I coordinated, who acted as a Board of Directors for each other. I continued to consult with David on marketing and an early project was advertising the original spray Hyper products, my first exposure to them. About 5 years ago David asked me to help with sales & marketing part time (I'm mostly retired) and I've been doing that since. Even though I'm a layman (and have never suggested anything more) my experience and exposure to all things Optimum led David to ask me to assume tech duties, something he had done until then. I became involved with the Forum as Chris Thomas concentrated on other areas, and have used David, Yvan, and Dann as sources when the question was beyond my expertise.

Archived