Questions for Opti Coat Pro+

Andhor

Hello all,

almost 6 month ago I did let my wifes car coated with 4 layers of Ceramic Pro + a finisher. I am still impressed about the results.

Now that the winter is coming, I would also like to get my car coated by a professionell detailer. My product of choice is Opti Cot Pro+. I have read a lot so far (about the difference of all the SiO2 and SiC coatings for example). But I still have one open question: Does more layers of Opti Coat Pro have any advantages? Or more layers of the finishing? Does the scratch/whirls resistance, lifetime, general hardness etc. increase? What I have read so far is, that SiC coatings in other industries are much thicker. Thx for your answers!

Hello Andhor, welcome to the Optimum Forum. Optimum's position on additional layers is that it's not necessary and won't add substantially to durability or scratch resistance. It does ensure complete coverage and because we sell 1 warrantied syringe for 1 car, we suggest pro installers use any leftover product on the front, hood, roof, etc, to guarantee thorough protection.

But it won't hurt to apply two layers, right? I mean just from the fact of the thickness of each layer it should protect more (at least the original paint). I understand that the chemical formular of Opti Coat Pro is different (not SiO2, but SiC) but more layers should protect more (just from my basic understanding of how coatings work). Can you tell me the average thickness of one layer?

There are no negatives in layering OCP+ and you're assuring complete coverage. When applied you're putting down a very thin layer, but unlike SiO2 based coatings, the SiC based coating actually bonds to the paint and the SiC is formed as a chemical reaction in that process, not by having Nano particles of the ceramic floating in a resin. Opti-Coat Pro is unique in many ways because of this fundamental difference in chemistry. Opti-Coat–Pro becomes one with the paint instead of suspending nano particles of a harder substance in a resin. In other words, you can't measure thickness of something that has bonded to your paint.

Archived