Can I use ONR wash & shine with only a spray bottle?

axelm96

HI there, I´m very interested in this product but i have a couple of questions.

I have seen videos of how does the ONR works, everybody was talking about the two bucket system, you see, I use the Meguiars D114 with only a spray bottle, I spray the car with the product and then i wipe it with a microfiber towel in diferent sections, It works excellent it dont make swirls marks or anything, but unfortunately I´m from Mexico and the provider have discontinue the import of this product and i have a lot of problems to bring it here. The only product that i found similar is this one, and i want to know if i can use it in the same way.

Let me know your answers and experience, it will be very helpfull.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Optimum Forum. Yes, you can use No Rinse as a waterless cleaner. We recommend a stronger formula (10 oz to 1 gallon of water) for the spray bottle. I believe the Mequiars D114 has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Megs stopped making D114...bummer...I always wanted to try it...now I guess I wont...or are they gonna release something similar?

IMO you didn't miss much...are you asking will Meg's release something similar--the answer to that is no, the rinseless market is too small for them.

ONR does whatever D114 did, the only thing D114 did better was not stain the wash media (and if that's your gripe you have other choices out there), all the rest of it really was just hyperbole, IMO.

IMO you didn't miss much...are you asking will Meg's release something similar--the answer to that is no, the rinseless market is too small for them.

ONR does whatever D114 did, the only thing D114 did better was not stain the wash media (and if that's your gripe you have other choices out there), all the rest of it really was just hyperbole, IMO.

Too small of a market? Never saw that coming. I was under the impression that the market was growing.

I'm not concerned about the staining...I use a black sponge so I don't even notice dirt that much. D114 just seemed a interesting product to try.

I have used other rinseless products and I don't really see them being any better or worse than ONR. Some add wax protection, some gloss enhancers, some don't add anything but they all clean very similar and you can use all of them in the same way and the same dilution ratio. The car gets clean no matter which one I use.

While the rinseless market is growing, specially with water restrictions becoming the norm, the number of competitors has expanded exponentially. When I first met Dr G 10 years ago, ONR was the only (IMO) serious rinseless in the market, now by my count there are 12 and the number's growing. Meguiars may have decided the pie is split too may ways for them.

Now that I think about it there has been quite a lot of companies that joined the rinseless choo-choo.

A quick search found me OPT, Duragloss, Blackfire, CG, Dodo juice, Marine 31, Pinacle, Ultima, 3D, Surf city garage, Wolfs chemicals, Carpro, Wolfgang, Mckees, Meguiars, and probably others that make rinseless stuff...yeah there are a lot of choices TBH. I wonder which of them have the same formula?

When I first met Dr G 10 years ago, ONR was the only (IMO) serious rinseless in the market, now by my count there are 12 and the number's growing. Meguiars may have decided the pie is split too may ways for them.

QEW was the rinseless wash back then, it just wasn't marketed to the detailing market, so you couldn't buy it through any detailing suppliers, you had to go to an RV store or order it from the mfr. online. It was an OK product but it used twice as much concentrate per gallon as ONR. Once ONR came out QEW quickly disappeared from the radar.

I don't know if Meguiar's misjudged the size of the market, thought they would expand it, or thought that they would displace other competitors, but they made it clear they weren't selling enough D114 to keep it going (although they didn't reveal how much that was). The market still seems too small for Meguiar's or any of the big retail brands to be interested in, probably even if they had the whole pie, and I'm not certain that rinseless will ever be accepted by the retail detail product consumer.

Now that I think about it there has been quite a lot of companies that joined the rinseless choo-choo.

A quick search found me OPT, Duragloss, Blackfire, CG, Dodo juice, Marine 31, Pinacle, Ultima, 3D, Surf city garage, Wolfs chemicals, Carpro, Wolfgang, Mckees, Meguiars, and probably others that make rinseless stuff...yeah there are a lot of choices TBH. I wonder which of them have the same formula?

Probably none of them have the same formula, but I'd bet they all come from 3 or 4 manufacturers (well, the US brands, anyway). Optimum may even make some of them.

To Setec's point, Turtlewax tried to sell into the retail market and failed quickly. They got feedback from auto supply stores that customers couldn't wrap their minds around a rinseless not marring cars (but go through auto car washes anyway). I can tell you that ONR was Optimum's breakthrough product, that Dr G has second thoughts about even marketing it (wasn't sure it fit into a premium high end line up), is our #1 product by volume, has funded entry into coatings (among other things), and has expanded into the general public's psyche. I get calls weekly from new users, still somewhat skeptical, but amazed how well it works!

I feel like you have to take that "leap of faith" with rinseless products...At least I did and was surprised how well it worked. Lots of people don't have the "cojones" to do it and they are usually the ones that bash on these products like they are devils work or something :rolleyes:

I used D114 for a year before it was discontinued. Still have a gallon and a half (lifetime) of it. Moved to ONR because of the availability.

The two are very different products in how they work and what they were designed for. D114 was mostly targeted at body shops to clean incoming cars, and leave nothing behind to be a problem for paint. It is a serious cleaner with degreasing properties. It will clean (as in remove everything) better than any other car cleaner that I have used. It will blast through bonded contamination at 1:128 easily (even waterless). At 1:64 it's almost an APC with lots of lubrication and won't strip LSP. The main downside to D114 is the drying. Nothing left behind = no drying aid.

I think if they would have made it available in smaller than gallon sizes they would have done much better with it.

ONR seems to be a much gentler chemistry, but doesn't have the raw cleaning power of D114. ONR is much better for routine car washes, but it doesn't do as well with bonded contamination. Dwell time seems to aid ONR much more than D114. ONR is it's own drying aid which is fantastic.

Both have good lubrication but have very different feels when moving a towel over the paint. IMHO, ONR is overall safer for paint, but I never had a problem with D114.

D114 will (visually) make a dirty towel cleaner as it sets. ONR seems to bond dirt to towels and does not have this property.

I plan on mixing detailer ONR with some D114 to see if it will improve bonded contamination removal.

Archived