Optimum Paint Prep substitute?

BradB

I have another question, if you wouldn't mind. Regarding application methods, I see a lot of folks are using the Carpro suede cloths over a foam applicator or over the CarPro applicator. Your thoughts on this? Advantages? Disadvantages? Necessary? Overkill? 

I haven't actually seen the "suede" towels. Short of being lint-less, anything really special about them? Wouldn't something like a glasses or electronic cleaning cloth work much the same? 

Thanks for putting up with me! The more I play with this, the more details I seem to uncover. 

On 3/10/2017 at 8:53 PM, BradB said:

I have another question, if you wouldn't mind. Regarding application methods, I see a lot of folks are using the Carpro suede cloths over a foam applicator or over the CarPro applicator. Your thoughts on this? Advantages? Disadvantages? Necessary? Overkill? 

I haven't actually seen the "suede" towels. Short of being lint-less, anything really special about them? Wouldn't something like a glasses or electronic cleaning cloth work much the same? 

Thanks for putting up with me! The more I play with this, the more details I seem to uncover. 

Optimum does have their version of the suede applicators. 

http://opti-coat.net/opts/index.php?route=product/product&path=82&product_id=150

I have used both the suede applicator and the blue foam applicator included with gloss coat.  I actually used a little less with the blue foam applicator.  There is a lot of misconception if it absorbing too much product.  It actually does not. 

I did prefer the blue foam applicator.  It was easier to handle compared to using the suede applicator and block.  The suede applicator and block can feel clunky at times. 

These are some good reference videos oh gloss coat. 

Thanks for the applicator feedback. Yes, I was afraid to use the blue applicator because I thought it would waste too much of the GLoss Coat. Good to know it works well. 

I have watched these videos several times. Good stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have only used the CarPro cloths with Dlux and loved them.

As an aside and I really need to find the reference but somewhere on here there is a thread about using Paint Prep and how it also contains a primer to help optigloss bond and level itself

40 minutes ago, Lowejackson said:

As an aside and I really need to find the reference but somewhere on here there is a thread about using Paint Prep and how it also contains a primer to help optigloss bond and level itself

Look here buddy http://optimumforums.org/index.php?/topic/61957-optimum-paint-prep/

Chris was the one who originally posted it but we all know what happened to his posts after he left right! Shame really. 

Well heck, now you have me worried. Just yesterday I finished coating two sets of wheels with Gloss Coat using IPA as a final wipe down. (After cleaning with a polish compound) So have I wasted my time? More importantly, have I wasted my Gloss Coat? 

IPA was the decontaminate of choice before Paint Prep was formulated, so if you did a thorough job (and I'm sure you did), you're good to go.  Dr G created Paint Prep due to the confusion over IPA ratios and added ingredients that aided in leveling/bonding.

On 22/03/2017 at 1:40 PM, BradB said:

Well heck, now you have me worried. Just yesterday I finished coating two sets of wheels with Gloss Coat using IPA as a final wipe down. (After cleaning with a polish compound) So have I wasted my time? More importantly, have I wasted my Gloss Coat? 

Sorry Brad, it was not my intention to create any confusion.  Hopefully Ron's answer answered your question.  I guess I was just trying to say there would have been some advantage in using Paint Prep but there are other effective methods of preparing the surface. 

No worries. I ordered Paint Prep tonight as I want to give Gloss Coat the best chance to work properly. (Would I be able to tell if it "wasn't" applying correctly?) 

Having graduated from coating three sets of wheels I am starting to do the paint on my red BMW. I'll report my results. 

Archived