dimsumk

Big Red Sponge

32 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of Optimum Products. It simply just works and trust the science. After watching some internet reviews, I decided to buy the big red sponge as a method to reduce the microfiber towels I have to use and speed up the washing process. I've presoak the panel with ONR W&S first and then run the sponge across the panels. In my findings, even doing the panel with many additional passes, I'm still seeing dirt being picked up by the waffle weave while drying. Is anyone experiencing the same symptoms or am I doing something wrong?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had that particular issue and have 2 thoughts - how dirty is the car and are you thoroughly squeezing the BRS (or using a grit guard)?  My cars don't get really dirty to test that aspect of the sponge.  The BRS tends to collect dirt/grime in it's cuts and it may be you're depositing some back or just not collecting it all.  Hopefully someone else will chime in...?

dimsumk likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is ok to see some light dirt transfer on the towel.  You should not be seeing that much on your towel.  As Ron pointed out, how dirty was the car.  ONR is encapsulating the dirt making it safe to be removed from the paint.  Just flip to a clean side of the towel if you get a little dirt on it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 9:25 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

I've never had that particular issue and have 2 thoughts - how dirty is the car and are you thoroughly squeezing the BRS (or using a grit guard)?  My cars don't get really dirty to test that aspect of the sponge.  The BRS tends to collect dirt/grime in it's cuts and it may be you're depositing some back or just not collecting it all.  Hopefully someone else will chime in...?

During my first test, it was without a grit guard. I will try again with the grit guard. The car was rinsed first with water than applied with a pre-soak of ONR before running the sponge on the panels. Car was not overly dirty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dimsumk said:

 Car was not overly dirty.

Then the water rinse was not needed! Remember...whatever product you apply on a wet car you are over diluting it.

Just spray your pre soak ONR on the dry car and follow it with the BRS. Dry and be done with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you water rinse it do a "open hose" drying as a last step to get most of the water off the car. Google, if you are not familiar with this technique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use about anywhere from 4 to 7 drying towels (Rag Company Minx) when using the Big Red Sponge with ONR.    The drying towels are picking up the encapsulated dirt that the BRS doesn't.  I suppose if I went over the same area a few times with the BRS, I could use less drying towels.  I fold the drying towels and as soon as I see any dirt on it I use a fresh side and then grab a fresh towel when all the sides show dirt.  I'm not shy about grabbing a fresh towel .    No harder to wash 10 towels than a couple.  If I use microfiber towels to wash rather than the BRS, I use more washing towels and fewer drying towels as the MF wash towels grab most of the dirt.

I alternate back and forth between multiple microfiber towels and the BRS as my wash media.  Still not sold on the BRS as having any advantage over multiple clean MF towels to wash.  Big fan of ONR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO if you're getting dirt on your drying towels you're not doing enough washing before you dry.  Just like with a conventional wash, sometimes you have to go over an area more than once to get it clean.  Try doing one pass with one side of the BRS, then going back over with the the other side to remove any remaining dirt.  I don't have a BRS, but another thing I've done, with that kind of wash media, is you kind of have 4 sides, if you use the two edges.  What I'm saying is kind of like if you were washing with a folded towel, where you flip or re-fold to get to a clean surface, you can wash a panel using the two sides of the BRS, then go back using the edges for a final pass.

Anyway, my recommendation is, if you're having this problem, is go back for a second pass with the other (clean) side of the BRS.  You really want the dirt in your wash media and not your drying media.

No Soap likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setec is exactly right, you do not want to be taking dirt off with your drying towel (the way most marring is done to paint, IMO).  Make sure your BRS is soaked and go back over a spot that remains dirty and you should be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

IMO if you're getting dirt on your drying towels you're not doing enough washing before you dry.  Just like with a conventional wash, sometimes you have to go over an area more than once to get it clean.  Try doing one pass with one side of the BRS, then going back over with the the other side to remove any remaining dirt.  I don't have a BRS, but another thing I've done, with that kind of wash media, is you kind of have 4 sides, if you use the two edges.  What I'm saying is kind of like if you were washing with a folded towel, where you flip or re-fold to get to a clean surface, you can wash a panel using the two sides of the BRS, then go back using the edges for a final pass.

Anyway, my recommendation is, if you're having this problem, is go back for a second pass with the other (clean) side of the BRS.  You really want the dirt in your wash media and not your drying media.

Thanks for the insight Setec. My first day with the BRS, I was using both the front and back of the BRS to ensure I get a clean panel without dirt, to my surprise.. dirt was still being picked up on the drying towel. I will also attempt to use the sides of the BRS as well as a final pass which should clear up my problem or use a couple MF towels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Setec is exactly right, you do not want to be taking dirt off with your drying towel (the way most marring is done to paint, IMO).  Make sure your BRS is soaked and go back over a spot that remains dirty and you should be good.

Thanks Ron. The advice is greatly appreciated from all members on the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gspam1 said:

I use about anywhere from 4 to 7 drying towels (Rag Company Minx) when using the Big Red Sponge with ONR.    The drying towels are picking up the encapsulated dirt that the BRS doesn't.  I suppose if I went over the same area a few times with the BRS, I could use less drying towels.  I fold the drying towels and as soon as I see any dirt on it I use a fresh side and then grab a fresh towel when all the sides show dirt.  I'm not shy about grabbing a fresh towel .    No harder to wash 10 towels than a couple.  If I use microfiber towels to wash rather than the BRS, I use more washing towels and fewer drying towels as the MF wash towels grab most of the dirt.

I alternate back and forth between multiple microfiber towels and the BRS as my wash media.  Still not sold on the BRS as having any advantage over multiple clean MF towels to wash.  Big fan of ONR.

I'll take this approach, as I use to use MF towels as a wash and waffle weave drying medium before trying out the BRS. I wasn't too sold on the BRS as well, but wanted to give a try as it would reduce the MF towel amount and the BRS is highly spoken by The Rag Company and Yvan himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to play a little devils advocate here.  This was one of the latest videos that was posted on the rag company youtube channel.  Around the 15 min mark Levi holds up a pluffle which clearly has some light dirt in it.  Again around the 15:25 mark Yvan folds his towel and again there is some dirt on it.  So there is going to be some light dirt pick up.   The sponge is not going to get everything.   Pre-soaking does help on the dirtier areas.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I've been doing this all wrong for the last however many years, but I just go over an area as many times as needed to get it clean before I wipe it. As others have said, I use both sides of my sponge and will happily rinse it and go back to the panel again if needed before I start to dry. I dont ever want to see dirt on my drying towels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Zymöl Sponge and also do as many passes needed. Usually one for the top section and two for the lower parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now