Big Red Sponge

dimsumk

I have a BRS that's been in ONR solution all it's life (2+ years now) and is fine.  I had a blue prototype that I kept wet until last year, then took it out of solution.  It began falling apart shortly after and had to be tossed.  Not sure how close the prototype was to final product, but keeping the BRS wet now.  I agree with soaking the sponge first, just to infuse it with ONR before use.

• 1 year later...
On 26/09/2018 at 6:37 PM, No Soap said:

Guess what guys? It arrived today, and now it is waiting for the first wash in the ONR-solution. :rolleyes:

Expensive here in Europe but I just had to get it to be able to tell you my thoughts about it.:P

To be continued...

Looking forward to your views.  Where did you buy it from, I had a look at the European distributor but they do not list the BRS.  The last time I looked for it over here it was impressiveness expensive

I just had my first experience with ONR and the BRS!

The car was not that dirty, just some light dust, a couple of bird bombs and dirt in some areas.  I did a light pre-soak with the ONR solution and then proceeded to use the BRS.  At no point did I feel it was doing any damage and it was definitely much quicker and more enjoyable than my previous multiple towels rinsless wash technique.  

In certain areas, I did pick up a little dirt on my drying towel but I wasn't too worried about that.  I think it will just take some time to get used to this new process and I'll have to go over some areas a couple more times with the BRS where needed.

This ticks all the boxes for me and overall I'm really impressed.

My first experience was promising.

The car, a 4 year Honda Civic Tourer with 30 thousand km on the clock, was dirty from the first road salt on the roads this "winter" (came from up north to visit us in the "south") but no sand etc. on the paint. I did only pre-spray (didn't really soak them) the lower panels. The sponge feels more like of a groute sponge than a traditional car wash sponge, or a mixture of those? I started with the roof, and without pre-spray, and it felt weirdly ok and because this car was not a neglected car, no sound of friction could be heard. Felt good, in fact! The car has been used in automatic car washes so swirls can be seen. The car has minimal roof bars and the sponge handled them really well. Always turned the sponge and went one more time over ever panel. Did not catch all dirt because the drying towels (The rag company Minx) did get a bit dirty (not on the roof section but when washing windows where there is parts where dirt can hide, window trims are pure evil!). I'm used to use a CG Big Chubby microfiber sponge but I think I have never tried to wash a car this dirty without rinsing it off so I can't compare them yet. I was *very* gentle with the sponge, didn't use any force. The sponge did get a bit of beating when washing parts that had a hard edge like the register plate etc. so one have to be aware of that aspect, it is still a sponge. I still think this could be the best rinseless wash media (after using a lot of towels or pre-rinsing)  if you want to wash a quite dirty car without rinsing it off before a wash! Next wash I will start with pre-sparying every panel as I go through them, one by one (all steps, also drying).

The bad thing is that the Big Red Spong costs 35€ from where I ordered one (http://optimumcarcare.nl) and now they out of stock. My order was first to be cancelled because they did not have any BRS in their inventory but then they eventually found one for me. Did order other Optimum products at the same time and the price was on par with what I get in my own country, and we don't even have Opti-Clean available,  so then I could justify the high price of the BRS, at least in a way. :rolleyes:

Still to be continued....

• 4 weeks later...

No Soap, thanks for the feedback - Optimum appreciates "real world" experiences.  I finally wore my BRS out (3+ years) and am using the Big Gold Sponge now.  It seems to have a little different consistency/closer cell structure, but performs the same.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...