Polishing swirls out of Opti-Coat Pro

FLTFOUR

I am attempting a big detailing weekend.  I've had opt coat pro applied to my car two years ago and unfortunately I have acquired some undesired swirls and scratches.  I have some concerns over polishing these swirls out as I am uncertain how the opt coat and polish will interact as well as the uncertainty with completely stripping the coating.  

My intention here is to simply correct the swirls and then apply opti gloss coat. Is this feasible? Should I be concerned about the opt gloss coat not sticking after polishing? Or should I be concerned about uneven setting of the gloss coat over the old polished opt coat? I intend on polishing with polish bought through you guys as will as a IPA wipe down before application.

What about a lighter compound like optimum finish, would that do the trick also? I did not want to dab into the heavier compounds due to concerns of ruining the coat or completely stripping it.  

Do other finishing polishes jive well with the opti coat compositions? For example if I tried and alternative such as meguiars 205 finishing polish would there be diminished corrective ability on the existing opticoat ? I'm assuming that the gloss coat would stick regardless given the fact that a IPA wipe down is performed on the surface before application.

Thank you for your input! 

An abrasive polish will likely remove the coating. 

If you plan to use M205 be sure to wipe down the paint a few times to remove the polishing oils.  I would recommend paint prep over IPA.  IPA does not have great lubricity. 

49 minutes ago, The Guz said:

An abrasive polish will likely remove the coating. 

If you plan to use M205 be sure to wipe down the paint a few times to remove the polishing oils.  I would recommend paint prep over IPA.  IPA does not have great lubricity. 

Do  you think Optimum Finish or M205 are okay to use with an ultra soft finishing pad on the opti coat?

1 hour ago, FLTFOUR said:

Do  you think Optimum Finish or M205 are okay to use with an ultra soft finishing pad on the opti coat?

What are you trying to achieve?  The abrasives in the polish are going to be what is removing the coating. 

11 hours ago, The Guz said:

What are you trying to achieve?  The abrasives in the polish are going to be what is removing the coating. 

My goal is to level the scratches in the coating surface without entirely stripping the coating

9 hours ago, FLTFOUR said:

My goal is to level the scratches in the coating surface without entirely stripping the coating

Ron answered it best.  Abrasives will either remove it or diminish it.  

Essence plus is another option.    

Archived