Gloss coat fail?

SumBeach

Hello,

I have been waiting on a response from Levi Gates at The Rag Company who said he was going to pass my issue on to Yvan.

Here is my issue.  

OPT gloss coat bought from AutoGeek in September. New formula sticker was on the box. Applied to the car after two step polish in October 2016.  Earlier this month I did a post winter decontamination using Ferrex and Adam's Strip Wash.  After the process, I noticed water was laying flat, with little beading only on vertical surfaces. I have also noticed some swirl in the coating.  It seems like the coating has failed, it is very grabby and not slick.  After noticing this I did use Opti seal to seal the surface. Some beading is present but it's not great.

Looking for feedback on how to approach this issue.

I have pictures but can't attach them due to the size limitation. I'll host them and edit the post.

IMG_20170412_191455_zps6nzbmkfe.jpg

IMG_20170412_191505_zpsfotqo7qm.jpg

IMG_20170412_191520_zps2dj7y8sl.jpg

My first thought was could the Adams be leaving something on the paint?  Maybe a wash or two could easily resolve this.  My second thought was related to the polishing, maybe some of the polishing oils were still around and the Glosscoat has not fully bonded to the paint.  These are just guesses as I have no experience of the OPT coatings.

I am in agreement.   Was a prep wipe with optimum paint prep or IPA done after polishing to remove the polishing oils from the paint so the coating bonds to the paint?

Toss that Adams strip wash in the trash.   Does not work.  I have a video on my YouTube channel and it does not work.  Anyway it leaves residue behind.  

Wash the car with a better soap like optimum car wash, reset or even ONR.  

On your next decon wash, stick with ferrex and just add a little APC into the wash solution.  Much better.  

Listen to the optimum synergy podcast dated on 2/1/2017.  Around the 20 min mark Yvan covers a decon wash.  

Car was wiped down twice with OPT coating prep prior to application.

It's been about two weeks since the decon with strip wash and Opti-seal.  I'm out of Ferrex but I have Adam's wheel cleaner that I'll dilute 1:1 for paint decon.  After that, I'll give the car a wash with ONR tonight.

What is your YouTube channel Guz? The Adam's car shampoo is the best shampoo I have used. Interested to see your results with the strip wash.

Found the video, and I believe I remember your thread on the Adam's forum. The truth hurts but I truely believe you.

I used Adam's 1:1 wheel cleaner for decon, let it dwell 3-5 minutes then used the pressure washer to remove it.  After a thorough rinsing I washed with ONR.  Car looks great and most importantly the water behavior is much improved.  It sheeted well now.  Will check beading in the next day or so when it rains.

Unfortunately, I found some swirls when inspecting the paint/coating  with the light after drying. winter snow removal instilled some swirl marks in the finish. May give carpro essence plus a try as mentioned in the other thread.

IMG_20170429_235233_zpsvcjxcbk0.jpg

IMG_20170429_235247_zpsqllmfxyv.jpg

Glad to hear you were able to restore the behavior.  Also glad you found my channel.  My review was taken down on the Adams forum and thus I never went back to that forum.  They did not like to see the truth about the product not working as they intended it to be used. 

If there are swirls well the only way to fix them is too polish them off and re-coat.  Or trying out essence plus.  Should work.  I've used it as well and it does fill in to a point and lasts a couple months in terms of hydrophobic properties.  The fillers have lasted longer than the layer or protection left behind.

Some great observations and recommendations.  All coatings take on the characteristics of the substances that are on them and usually (if application was done properly as yours sounded), lack of performance can be tracked back to that.  I haven't tried Essence Plus but would take Guz's word for it.  There are so many choices on all car care products and it's impossible to determine all possible effects when combined.  That's one reason Optimum sincerely recommends using their products for the synergy and not only to increase sales...

Presently, I don't have the best water beading on the bare coating. Thinking I need to add some optimum car wax or Opti seal.

I likely just stick to the synergy of Optimum for topping the coating. 

Archived