The hyper twins (compounding & polishing) techniques

No Soap

Hi!

I have seen in the demonstration videos by Yvan that he goes about 4 passes with the compound and then directly on top of that 4 passes with polish. I've done as many passes it needs to get the compound transparent. I think of it like all the compound has been 'broken' down. Who is right and how much does it really matter to the end result. Yeah, I'm nerdy and want to know in detail. :)

Br, Patrik

Its not a good idea to work the compound for like you said " as many passes it needs to get the compound transparent". You need to do a test spot first to see how many passes it takes to get a correction you are after...Maybe you only need 1-2 passes with a compound or maybe it may take more than that. What Im trying to say is the longer you are working the compound the more clear coat you are removing instead of preserving.

I believe OPT polishes are SMAT & DAT technology so they dont need to be "worked in". The first pass will cut the same as pass #5 for example.

Ive only used Intensive polish with Hyper polish and it diddnt matter whether I worked it 2 or 5 passes before changing the pad and reaching for Hyper polish.

Dont over think it too much but do try to preserve clear coat.

Thanks for your answer and yeah, I know that different cars have different needs but this one badly needed a scrub and it was the first time for this car. :)

I asked because my other car is in much better shape so I thought I might have to remove the compound from a panel before starting the polish step because the compound hasn't been worked that hard?

Can you go through 2 areas with the same pad without cleaning in between? I do have a Grit Guard universal pad-washer which a bought because I got a really good discount on it, would never have bought one otherwise!? :) 

I ussually use one pad on 1-2 full panels before I switch to a new one. I have 3 cutting pads and when I use them up I clean them and continue working.

But like Ron said...if they accumulate a lot of dirt after even one panel or half a panel (say half a hood or door) then its safer to just wash them regularly.

If you are only working on your car then you are not in a hurry and you can work slower but safer and get better results that way.

Yes a panel like the entire hood or the entire door. Ill usually divide a  panel into several smaller areas or sections (2-4 on the hood and 2-4 on the door and 6-8 on the roof for instance) but Ill still use the same pad without cleaning it (if its not needed).

Archived