New ONR user, looking for opinions

I just bought a new car (Alpine white) and I live in a condo. I have access to a water faucet outside my garage but I cannot wash the car outside no drive way. I am having a hard time deciding which wash media to use with ONR. I like the red sponge but I was thinking since I will be doing the ONR wash inside my garage need to keep the wash as clean as possible so then I thought MF towel as wash media might be better especially since I could use a large amount of MF towels to avoid using a contaminated towel. I know its over kill but I  was thinking of doing a pre spray of opt clean before doing the ONR wash for extra lubrication and would it be ok to spray OID during the MF towel drying pass? I will be using The Rag Co. eagle edgeless pro super plush 480 gsm  MF towel to do the drying with OID. Any thought on which MF towels to use as wash media? I was thinking to use the same type of towel to do the ONR wash as well.

I have a local coin  op wash about five miles away/ I was thinking of going down there every couple weeks and doing a opt clean pre spray and just rinsing with pressure washer and then drying with compressed air device then diving home and doing my ONR routine. Can I do ONR wash every weekend? If car does not get too dirty can ONR replace a traditional hand wash?

Thank you.

others may have an opinion on towels, but yes, you can use Opti-Clean as a pre-spray (have been doing that for years), and OID as a drying aid (I use Opti-Seal but both are effective).  I've yet to have my cars too dirty for ONR, but high powered spray (don't forget the undercarriage) with compressed air dry would work well.  There is a cumulative effect from using ONR and zero negatives to washing weekly.

The Minx would be my choice, I have the blue ones and love them! I would only pre-spray with ONR at a higher dillution and the wash media I love the most at the moment is the Chemical Guys Microfiber Sponge (Big Chubby??) with a short nap and I like to think it works great because I can get the dirt to release easily rubbing the relatively short nap against the grit guard washboard extension I have in place in my wash bucket. When the car is more dirty I use 2 buckets and the one with the washboard is then my rinse bucket and I also use ONR in that. Btw. ONR with wax doesn't stain the wash media as much as the normal ONR but it is really only a cosmetic thing, not something that would cause scratches etc. There is so littele wax in it so it won't be a problem with the towels or if you want to ONR the interior (been there, done that).

In my experience, spraying with Opticlean does work well, give it a minute or two to dwell.  ONR at a stronger dilution than the normal 256:1 also works well, not quite as good as Opticlean but is the cheaper option.  ONR at 256:1 works nearly as well and is easier as you can just take some ONR from the bucket and spray it on the panels

I've tried a bunch of different ONR applicators over the years, including sponges, mitts and MF towels. I finally settled on the Meguiar's  MF mitt. They're made of  a fiber that grabs dirt, bur releases it easily. I have grit guards in my rinseless bucket, but don't rub the mitt on the guard. I make a pass with either side of the mitt, then just a vigorous shake in the bucket is enough to release the dirt and provide a clean mitt for my next pass.

I do use the Eagle Edgeless towels in my process, however. After completing a panel or two with the wash mitt, I wipe it down with the MF just to spread out the remaining solution and give it an "insurance" wipe in case I missed a spot. I'll use the same MF for the entire car, wringing it out as necessary, then following with either a drying towel or a  spray of whatever drying aid I might be using.

During the nastiest times of winter, I may use two mitts, one strictly for the lower half of the car. My DD is black and after refining my technique over the years, I have no hesitation doing rinseless for the majority of my wash jobs. I use a pump-up sprayer with the same solution I'm using to wash and do a pre-soak whenever the car's salt-sprayed or just dirtier than usual.

Bill

On 7/6/2017 at 0:38 PM, TUDM said:

I just bought a new car (Alpine white) and I live in a condo. I have access to a water faucet outside my garage but I cannot wash the car outside no drive way. I am having a hard time deciding which wash media to use with ONR. I like the red sponge but I was thinking since I will be doing the ONR wash inside my garage need to keep the wash as clean as possible so then I thought MF towel as wash media might be better especially since I could use a large amount of MF towels to avoid using a contaminated towel. I know its over kill but I  was thinking of doing a pre spray of opt clean before doing the ONR wash for extra lubrication and would it be ok to spray OID during the MF towel drying pass? I will be using The Rag Co. eagle edgeless pro super plush 480 gsm  MF towel to do the drying with OID. Any thought on which MF towels to use as wash media? I was thinking to use the same type of towel to do the ONR wash as well.

I have a local coin  op wash about five miles away/ I was thinking of going down there every couple weeks and doing a opt clean pre spray and just rinsing with pressure washer and then drying with compressed air device then diving home and doing my ONR routine. Can I do ONR wash every weekend? If car does not get too dirty can ONR replace a traditional hand wash?

Thank you.

There is no wrong way to approach the wash with either the so called Gary Dean method or the BRS.  The BRS is just as good  as using multiple microfibers to keep your garage "clean".  This is from personal experience.  One pro for the BRS is that I don't have a dozen microfibers piled up waiting to be washed. 

With regards to the pre-spray.  Opti-clean works fine but I would use that for what it is and that is a waterless wash for in between washes.  I would just dunk a spray bottle into the ONR mixture and use that as a pre-spray.  It is more cost effective and works just as good. 

OID works fine as a drying aid.  Opti-Seal and car wax works as well and both leave protection behind. 

Eagle Edgeless towels are prefect for a rinseless wash.  As a drying aid you may want to consider the pluffle or the twistress.  These two towels work better to dry over the eagle edgeless. 

ONR can absolutely be used weekly.  It can easily replace a traditional bucket wash if used on a regular basis.  I do it all the time. 

Thank you to everybody for posting great advise. I did my first ONR wash Saturday, it was scary I am so use to washing the car the old fashion way but After first ONR wash I have to say it was imoressive. I used MF Towels which left me with a bunch of towels to clean and my technique is not good yet towels are difficult to keep in folded square. I will use BRS next. I understand how ONR has properties to protect the finish but what happen to the belief that sponges scratch due to the fact they dont have  nap to trap dirt and debris?

Any thoughts on best way to ONR wheels?  Does anyone have stains on garage floor from ONR washing or ONR $& OC  presoaks?

Thanks

For me, using ONR on wheels is only slightly different than the rest of the car. I presoak both tires and wheels with my pump sprayer, dump my leftover solution in a small bucket, then use whatever brush combo works for the particular wheels I'm doing, such as a Daytona / EZ Detail Jr, a Mother's Wheel brush and an appropriate brush for the lug nut area. I rinse again with the pump sprayer, then dry with towels dedicated to wheel use only. I also keep my wheels waxed (Finish Kare 1000p is my favorite), so serious wheel cleaning is only needed once or twice a year.

Normally tires and wheels are done first, but if I'm washing away from home, I'll do 'em last with the leftover solution from the wash. I have both a concrete driveway and garage floor and have never had a staining problem.

Bill

I store mine wet, ready to use, but others allow to dry with no problem.  Make sure to clean it out periodically (Power Clean or dish detergent work for me), you'd be surprised how much dirt it retains.

Preparing to do my second ONR wash this weekend but I am still terrified.  I am old school, I have been washing my cars with a wash mitt  and drying with a S.M. Arnold synthetic chamios for over 20 years. After doing research I was hoping you guys could enlighten me. I have learned that ONR and BRS are used  to just coat the panel  with ONR then you come with your drying towel to pick up encapsulated dirt that was left behind as well as drying. I am not of fan of seeing a bunch of dirt on my MF drying towels. If I give a second pass with the other side of BRS might this pick up dirt left behind with the first pass? Second I use to read everywhere not to use a sponge due it traps dirt and you could  drag it across the paint, what has changed the technoloigy such as the polymers in ONR? Lastly so much talk about edgeless MF towels to protect finish from edge scratching so why are drying MF towels not edgeless?

Thank again  

38 minutes ago, TUDM said:

" I have learned that ONR and BRS are used  to just coat the panel  with ONR then you come with your drying towel to pick up encapsulated dirt that was left behind as well as drying. I am not of fan of seeing a bunch of dirt on my MF drying towels. If I give a second pass with the other side of BRS might this pick up dirt left behind with the first pass? Second I use to read everywhere not to use a sponge due it traps dirt and you could  drag it across the paint, what has changed the technoloigy such as the polymers in ONR? Lastly so much talk about edgeless MF towels to protect finish from edge scratching so why are drying MF towels not edgeless?"

I don't believe you're understanding the rinseless process.  It's the well-dampened wash media, towel, sponge or mitt that  does the cleaning, not the drying towel. The reason why the choice of wash media is important is that you want something that will pick up the encapsulated dirt, then deposit it in the bucket. Done properly, there's very little, if any dirt left behind for the drying towel. I mentioned in an earlier post that I do a wipe with a MF towel prior to drying. That's done for two reasons: 1) to absorb or spread out any heavy accumulations of solution, making it easier on my drying towel  and 2) to catch the dirt from any possible spots I may have missed.  Done properly, your drying towel will still be clean when the job is done and the bottom of your wash bucket will have a bunch of dirt settled out of the solution.

Also, our reason for using the Eagle Edgeless towel is for its nap of the fabric and absorbency. Being edge-bound or edgeless is secondary.

Hope this helps explain the process better.

Bill

Billy has it exactly right - the sponge picks up the dirt, not your drying towel.  If you still have dirt before drying, go back over with the BRS.  The advanced technology is more in the ONR than the sponge - while the cuts/crevices in the BRS do catch dirt, it's the encapsulation by ONR that is the magic.  As for towels, there are edges and there are EDGES - cheap towels can have loose edges bound with cheap material that can mar. 

Archived