Gloss coat marking

caspat

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of nano-ceramic coating.

I bought a new car 1 mount ago, so i decided to go for a paint protection. I bring my car to a car detailer shop and they did gloss-coat coating and opti-seal.

The car look very good! I did not wash the car for one week as told by the guy. I also buy ONR to wash the car with de two bucket method. 

2 weeks after, i went on vacation so i put my thule rack on top to bring my bike. Been on vacation for a week, when i came back, remove the rack and see that it leave some marks on top. :( 

Never had this problem on my other car after one week! without coating. I though nano-ceramic coating was made to prevent this kind or marks or scuff?

washing the car, i also find some scratchs behind the door handle, i dont think my nails is harder than ceramic! :) 

Do you think there is a problem with the product or maybe the way it was apply by the shop?

Look at the pics you can even distinguish number that is grove onto foot pad of the rack. 

Sorry if i made english mistake!

Thanks!

Patrick

FullSizeRender 4 copie.jpg

FullSizeRender 5 copie.jpg

IMG_6614 copie.JPG

IMG_6615 copie.JPG

Welcome to the forum. 

In general coatings are not scratch proof.  They can be scratched and swirled. 

The benefit to a coating is that they are more durable and longer lasting compared to a wax or sealant.  They help with wash induced marring better than a wax or sealant.  There are other benefits. 

It looks like the coating is marred due to the rubbing action of the rack.  Not necessarily the fault of the coating or the application by the installer.  One's nail can scratch a coating. 

In order to fix them they need to be polished and re-coated. 

Really! I'm really disapointed by this! This is a $ 300 bad invested! I better have put m'y money on a protective film instead! ☹️ They sale the product clamimimg it is nano-ceramic coating that will protect your paint! 

1 hour ago, caspat said:

Really! I'm really disapointed by this! This is a $ 300 bad invested! I better have put m'y money on a protective film instead! ☹️ They sale the product clamimimg it is nano-ceramic coating that will protect your paint! 

As mentioned coatings are not scratch proof.  None of them will do keep scratches from getting to the paint.  To say it is a really bad investment is a judgment call for each person. 

Gloss Coat is a coating and it will protect your paint.  It just won't meet your expectations of being scratch proof.  This would have happened if you had a wax or sealant on the paint as well.  Paint protection film would be the better choice if you wish to protect the paint from scratching. 

My advice would be to research and gain knowledge on what a coating can and can't do.  There are many good posts on this forum along with a few other detailing forums.  The optimum synergy podcast is another good source of information on learning more about coatings. 

3 hours ago, The Guz said:

As mentioned coatings are not scratch proof.  None of them will do keep scratches from getting to the paint.  To say it is a really bad investment is a judgment call for each person. 

Gloss Coat is a coating and it will protect your paint.  It just won't meet your expectations of being scratch proof.  This would have happened if you had a wax or sealant on the paint as well.  Paint protection film would be the better choice if you wish to protect the paint from scratching. 

My advice would be to research and gain knowledge on what a coating can and can't do.  There are many good posts on this forum along with a few other detailing forums.  The optimum synergy podcast is another good source of information on learning more about coatings. 

I understand that it this would have happened if i had a wax or sealant on the paint but it does not cost 300$!!

I understand that my expectation was too high... but if it dont protect from scratching, from what it will protect my paint?

Is it just a sort of wax that "should be ok for 1-2 year"?

btw, thanks for your explanations!

7 hours ago, caspat said:

I understand that it this would have happened if i had a wax or sealant on the paint but it does not cost 300$!!

I understand that my expectation was too high... but if it dont protect from scratching, from what it will protect my paint?

Is it just a sort of wax that "should be ok for 1-2 year"?

btw, thanks for your explanations!

$300 is a bargain in my opinion.  Some charge more than that. 

It is protecting your paint just like a wax or sealant but at a much higher and more durable level.  That is a real simple explanation.  There are plenty of good threads on what gloss coat can do.

I got this from Autogeek's web site.

Optimum Gloss-Coat is a high-tech polymer system that forms an extra layer of clear coat over painted surfaces, wheels, plastic trim, bumpers, aluminum, and chrome. Formulated by award-winning Dr. David Ghodoussi, Optimum Gloss-Coat is designed to provide unsurpassed resistance to etching caused by harsh detergents, and swirl marks that are often inflicted during the wash process. Surfaces that are coated with Optimum Gloss-Coat will be protected for up to two years.

Optimum Gloss-Coat is much like the clear coat that already exists on your vehicle, except it forms a shell of protection that is glossier, slicker, and less prone to wash-induced swirl marks and marring. Optimum Gloss-Coat creates a self cleaning finish that is considerably easier to clean and maintain compared to conventional waxes and sealants. Carnauba-wax lovers rejoice – Optimum formulated Gloss-Coat so you can top it with your favorite non-abrasive finishing wax.

Optimum Gloss-Coat can be applied to all exterior surfaces. It is not recommended for glass since improper application can affect visibility. For other exterior surfaces, Optimum Gloss-Coat is a highly effective, transparent protective coating.

Optimum Gloss-Coat can be applied to:

• Painted surfaces
  • Wheels
  • Plastic trim
  • Bumpers
  • Aluminum & chrome surfaces

Optimum Gloss-Coat is an additional barrier between the elements and your vehicle's paint. The paint will retain its color and contaminants will be blocked out to keep the paint smooth and clean. Unlike waxes and paint sealants that require frequent reapplication, Optimum Gloss-Coat provides constant, unyielding protection for up to two years!

Because Optimum Gloss-Coat is semi-permanent, the paint finish has to be properly prepared before applying it. Any blemishes or contamination on the paint will be locked in so remove them first! On a properly prepared paint finish, Optimum Gloss-Coat will look clear, smooth, and clean.

Once Optimum Gloss-Coat cures, washing is the only maintenance needed to keep your vehicle looking fantastic. The coating can be clayed but it should not be necessary since Gloss-Coat releases contaminants easily. Use detail sprays as desired to intensify the gloss. You can top the coating with your favorite non-abrasive wax or sealant if you desire.

I'm probably asked weekly about the "scratch resistance" of coatings and there's no good answer.  Will any coating protect against rocks striking your hood - No.  Will they protect against poor washing/drying habits or things brushing against the paint - maybe.  Coatings provide better protection than manufacturers clear coat, look better, stay cleaner, and simplify maintenance.  If you want better protection, look into paint film...but good luck finding that for anywhere near $300.

11 hours ago, No Soap said:

Allready asked in another thread but seems to fit here even better? Can you fill those marks by applying some more coating on the affected areas?

No you cant. Multiple layers of waxes, sealants & cpatings dont really fill much.

Its best to lightly polish and reapply lsp or just live with it knowing you are one of the 99.99% who has scratches on the car.

Archived