Hello from South Europe

Solala

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should recap Gloss-Coat tightly after use - it can last several years if moisture is kept out of the syringe.  The instructions for Gloss-Coat suggest a follow up wipe in 1 - 2 minutes and a good quality, clean micro fiber is fine.  Some installers use the original applicator pad with no issues.

17 hours ago, Solala said:

Thanks 'The Guz' and 'boiler'.

I have a very urgent question: right after I have opened OGC, for how long can the syringe stay open?

Thanks for a quick comment, cheers.

Its OK for when you need it but close it tightly afterwards. Moisture is the one that must not come into contact with the coating...youll know if it does coz it will turn into gel soon enough.

15 hours ago, Solala said:

... furthermore:

Q2: Which towel shall be used to wipe the car paint after the application of OGC 3-5 minutes after?

I use a basic short pile. Waiting 3-5 min is perhaps too much...I would instead say you remove it after it flashes about 75-80%. That can happen rather quickly if its hot and slower if its colder.

Thanks boiler and A&J.

Today, I have done the roof and the back of my car. Total amount of time: 6 hours including the 1h during which I had to wait. The preparation took a very long time (claying + Meguairs Ultimate compound + IPA wipe down, all manually done).

The OGC was very easy to apply and relatively quick. I could see the 'oil film' but it quickly flashed within a few seconds. I wiped the surface after 30 seconds. It's very hot today. The car was in the shadow. I have done the roof 2x because I had the feeling that I applied not enough OGC the very first time. After all work: Meguiars quick wax. Let's see.

Cheers.

PS: I go to bed now, need to recover ... . :cool2[1]:

12 minutes ago, boiler said:

would love to hear how it all turns out.

Don't forget, there is now wax on it. Well, it looks as expected, also right after the application of OGC. Let's see in a couple of weeks when the wax is gone. - Now, I will do the front part of the car ... probably until 22:00. :cool2[1]:

Cheers.

Hi all.

So far, things seem to work, more or less well. I will report later on, in a few days when the entire car is done.

Question: Can I clean the parts that carry a 3 day old OGC protection with water only? And what about water from a pressure washer? In the latter case I would keep a distance of at least 30cm.

Thanks for some comments.

2 hours ago, boiler said:

you can spray Gloss-Coat now and dry (gently) with a quality drying towel - it's the solvents in soap you need to avoid for 7 days.   Pressure washer is OK as well, again, gently.

Thanks boiler.

So, just to be precise enough, you mean 'you can spray water onto Gloss-Coat and dry (gentle) with a ... ' - gloss-coat is already on the paint of my car. Please, clarify, thx.

5 hours ago, boiler said:

sorry, meant you can spray water on Gloss-Coat after 1 hour...

Thx, boiler.

So far, here are the first impression after I have finished the car today:

• The beading is amazing, I think that it is somewhat influenced by the wax film I have put onto OGC. Anyway, only the wax would never produce such a nice beading. Let's see what happens in 3 weeks when the wax is almost gone.
  • I did mistakes at the beginning: on the first day it was very hot and one has to wipe away any high spots almost immediately. The 80% rule does indeed count. This needs to be said more clearly in the instructions btw! - Anyway, the few spots I got due to a too long waiting are so far okay ... .
  • One has to work with glows, otherwise: NO CHANCE!
  • Yes, it is true that applying OGC is a quick process. However, what needs a very long time is the preparation of the car paint such that it is in its perfect RAW state. After all, one has to put the car into the sun because then all imperfections become immediately visible. Sometimes this is a PAIN because you see so many things! - well you all know this better than me.
  • I'm working in research, particularly in surface science (ultra-high vacuum surface physics and chemistry) and I know procedures for preparing absolute clean surfaces. To be honest, OGC is best applied in a clean room. :cool2[1]: Working outside is less perfect and requires dust-free spaces, with shadows and no wind etc. I found one but it is not perfect like a clean room. Note that working in a garage or workshop is not always good since dust from walls etc. can be a huge problem ... well, also this is what you certainly know.

So far ... I will comment the long term quality of OGC soon.

Cheers.

the problem with giving specific instructions on wiping after application is that it can vary so much with environment.  Cool/ dry conditions can give you 5 minutes or more to wipe, hot/humid conditions can create almost immediate curing.  One size does not fit all, therefore the 80% flash suggestion...and how do you measure that accurately?  It's a moving target and experience is the best predictor of success.  Fortunately corrections are easy and nothing is permanent.

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Soon, I will report on the long term quality of OGC.

I have an urgent question: is there any replacement for the Optimum Paint Prep? The reason is that I cannot find it here in Europe. What would you suggest? Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner may be?

Thanks for some ideas.

EDIT: Second question: Can I use Optimum Hyper Polish by hand, without a machine?

Archived