Optimum Spray Wax - Can It Live Up To It's Patent?

No Soap

• No Soap changed the title to Optimum Spray Wax - Can It Live Up To It's Patent?

Dr G is aware of Scott's videos and is crafting his response.  My take, for a guy "not throwing Optimum under the bus",  Scott only refers to Optimum and repeats the name frequently.  This is the 2nd video he attacks Optimum Spray Wax directly. 

He has a new video about the wash/wax/clay method and why he thinks it doesnt work...problem being that clay doesnt remove traffic film and you are waxing over it.

In a way he has a point but hes just over complicating things IMO.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

He also has a video on "Can Traffic Film Damage Paint & Will A Wax Stop it?"  where he mentioned  friction and pressure, especially during rain, will erode the wax film away for daily drivers.

I am not exactly sure but it doesn't seem to reconcile with what I've  read in  fluid mechanics - boundary layer.

• 10 months later...

Well...I only listened to half of that video...but a couple of things, the OCW patent isn't about a "special fancy polymer", the patent was for the way the ingredients were combined, not what they were.  Second, the UV inhibitor which is in OCW, which is the same as used in clearcoat paint, is known (at least from what Dr. G has told us) to migrate through paints and plastics, so let's at least be open to the idea that applying it topically could allow it to migrate through "traffic film" to the paint.  Besides, it's going to be "stuck" to the paint for at least a little while along with the wax and sealant in OCW, which is better than not having a UV inhibitor at all.

PS  Dr. G has explained that the reason there is so much fading of painted plastic parts on older clearcoated cars, is that they found that the UV inhibitor from the paint would migrate into the plastic parts (and therefore out of the paint), cause the clear on those parts to fail.  Later they learned they had to put  UV inhibitor into the plastic to prevent it from leaching the inhibitor out of the paint.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, No Soap said:

Here is a new 3 months later video: https://youtu.be/kcFYATzBZAE

He was not that impressed either. We don’t know how he really prepped the paint?

The thing is that besides prep how was the vehicle cared for?  What type of environment was it exposed to?  That plays a large part in the durability of anything. 

The key words to pay attention to is "up to 5 months" as he mentioned.  So even if OCW lasted 1 month it still falls within those buzz words and technically the product worked as advertised.  If the claim was lasting exactly 5 months then anyone would have an issue with OCW if it did not last those claimed months.  So his review is spot on in my opinion.  It is just like the claims for Gloss Coat where it is a 3 year coating and Optimum states it can last up to 2 years.  When in reality 1 year is more realistic. 

One thing that would have been nice to see is if the beading got better once the car was washed.  He did just spray the dirty surface and that can mask the properties of any LSP. 

Archived