Frustrating Morning

Charlies02GLS

Well I've got the day off so this morning I debadged my Jetta. I finish that up no worse for the wear and notice that I've got a couple of scratches on my trunk lid. Initially I tried a LC Purple Wool with OC...made 1 pass @ 1500 and they didn't budge so I stepped it up to HTEC with the purple wool. Worked it until the HTEC cleared (maybe 30-40 seconds) and then wiped off the oils with prepsol. I did this 4 times at 1700rpm and there's a slight improvement but not much. Heck, I even tried a twisted wool pad at 1500 with a single pass and couldn't see a difference before and after. I tried to get a picture but the car is silver and my camera can't pick them up.

I'm moving the rotary slow and steady, the panel is heating up until it's warm to touch, and really I believe I've got *at least* decent technique but at this point I don't know because I couldn't get rid of these. The scratches are about 2.5-3 inches in length (I'd guess caused by ice sliding off the trunk) and I can't feel them with the back of my nail. Any suggestions on what the next step to take should be?

Thanks

Charlie

I did a black Porsche which has been repainted and I did about 95% of the correction with a wool pad and OP. There were a few areas that I used Hi-Temp mixed with OC 50/50 and a wool pad but still it didn't touch these random deep scratches and some DA sanding marks. I then tried Meguairs 105 and a wool pad but still nothing. So some scratches while not breaking through to the primer are just deep enough to cause headaches and perhaps the only option left is wet sanding......this though would be extreme. It's best to just live with the imperfections.

Anthony

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leary of wet sanding because I'm not the original owner and I don't know the full history of the vehicle (at the very least the front bumper has been resprayed). That and I can't afford a paint gauge for at least a year or two so I guess I'll just learn to live with 'em.

Charlie

Archived