Layering OCW v2?

Just discovering Optimum stuff... Had OS for a while and enjoying that unique glassy look, as well as the ease of use. Just discovered ONR and tonight I used OCW v2 for the very first time :thumbsupup[1]:

I liked the slight improvement in wetness that it delivered, over the top of several layers of UPGP, and the extra gloss. My question is whether or not I need to wait before adding a 2nd layer? I'd like to see how the look changes with a few layers?

thanks

Damon, you'll see that the already very impressive slickness improves with the second (and/or 3rd) layers. It will look fab.

Thanks Bence - I liked the look but wasnt too impressed with slickness.... Wasnt as slick as UPGP underneath, but that is VERY slick already.

How long do I need to leave between layers - can it be done after a few minutes or does it need the 12-24hrs?

Would be great if I could put on 2 quick layers in one session :thumbsupup[1]:

Liquid wax tends to have a higher solvent content, cleaning tendency, and lower solids content, less wax, so my best guess would be that the need for a significant delay between applying coats would be no less than with a paste wax - but we all live in hope.

I may well be trying something similar shortly so I’m curious to see what the experience with OCW in this respect has proved to be.

Damon, initial slickness or cured slickness?

Because initially it gives not much however, after say half an hour it improves a lot. Two cured layers are slicker on my car, on top of OOS ×2, than OID.

Damon, initial slickness or cured slickness?

Because initially it gives not much however, after say half an hour it improves a lot. Two cured layers are slicker on my car, on top of OOS ×2, than OID.

I havent noticed any significant change TBH. UPGP leaves the clickest finish I have yet experienced, but I just didnt get the same feeling with OCW v2.

Dont get me wrong, I DO like it a lot, as it adds a little extra to the finish and improves the gloss. I want to add a few layers so was just really wanting to know how long to leave it between layering. As it flashes off quite quickly I was hoping I might get 2 layers on after a wash, with perhaps 15-20 mins between them?

Interesting. On my car UPGP has less slickness than OCW II, and UPGP looks good only from flatter angles. As the angles grow, the look flattens, and become uninspiring. I think we have to test them side by side on different paints. IME OOS (vs. UPGP) has a significant advantage in water management.

I'd add the next layers after 20-30 minutes.

Interesting. On my car UPGP has less slickness than OCW II, and UPGP looks good only from flatter angles. As the angles grow, the look flattens, and become uninspiring. I think we have to test them side by side on different paints. IME OOS (vs. UPGP) has a significant advantage in water management.

I'd add the next layers after 20-30 minutes.

I am sure different paints respond differently to different products - in looks as well as durability etc, but dont have evidence to support that...

i agree with the water management aspect - I think OOS beads and sheets off water much better than UPGP, in fact I had issues initially struggling to get UPGP to release water. I washed the car, rinsed it, sheeted it and it still had beads all over it. Went for a 80mph drive and came back and STILL water on it :( I put OOS on my MG earlier in the spring - just a quick top up layer, and went out for the day. It poured down half way through the journey and the car was soaked, but the roll-off of the water was amazing, and once the rain stopped and we kept driving, the car completely self dried :thumbsupup[1]:

It hasnt rained since I did the OCW so havent experienced beading/sheeting effects yet, but my hope is that it improves the performance of UPGP as well. I'd like to keep the car topped up with OCW and next I am very tempted to try DWG/OOS/OCW and see how that goes?

I do really like OOS, and I am struggling to go back to any kind of LSP that isnt a WOWA product. Have you used Z-CS yet? I hear durability is amazing, but mixed reports on the look....

Although pics can lie and skew reality, but when you see pics of OOS'd cars the appearance is spot on. Very distinct dark/light frontiers, excellent definition and wetness. UPGP pics were always amazing but I'm yet to find a car on which UPGP looks like on the pictures. Unfortunately never happened to me.

And here comes the Z-CS problem: I've never saw a single picture which was convincing enough to jump on the bandwagon.

I have and I use Zaino stuff; mainly the Z2Pro/Z8 combo. It looks good and durable, but still lacks something I like in other LSPs, like for example OOS, Victoria waxes or even Mothers Reflections. Heck I even like the mixing thingy, and I keep a 50 ml syringe handy...

I'd like to collect all the WOWA sealants though. From Germany, the A1 Minute Wax, and from Japan the Soft99 Fusso Coat Mirror Shine. Former promises 4 months durability, the latter 9...

• 2 years later...

Thx Chris for answering my question.Today was the first time i used OCW, and i'm very impressed how easy wipes off and looks wet and shiny only problem i had was the temperature it was about 35 deg today too cold but overall 5 stars and i'm glad i bought 1 gal god bless OPT

Archived