Optimal water temp for ONR?

Bigpikle

I have been using ONR and also researching the benefits of hot water with washing.

I am wondering if you can confirm the Cloud Point for ONR that will provide optimal cleaning results, please.

many thanks :beerchug[1]:

Interesting question.

Since I use very warm water for washing, I doubt that the cloud point will be an issue for me.

If I understand "Cloud Point" correctly, it is mostly a concern at lower temperatures, not warmer ones.

If that is right, then it would seem likely that the cloud point of an ONR and water solution would be quite low. Much lower than I would care to be using it.

The warm water washing started after I noticed how much better job of cleaning I was able to do with warm water. From washing my hands, washing dishes. basically anything I washed.

Try a simple experiment. Run cold water over the food residue on a plate by just holding it under the running faucet. Now do the same thing using hot water. I think you will find there is a world of difference.

It just seemed logical that the same benefit would occur when washing a vehicle.

It is much more comfortable on my hands, especially in cold weather and I think it does a better job of cleaning.

If my understanding of "Cloud Point" is incorrect, I may have to rethink my procedure although it works so good that I really doubt that I will change.

Interesting question.

Since I use very warm water for washing, I doubt that the cloud point will be an issue for me.

If I understand "Cloud Point" correctly, it is mostly a concern at lower temperatures, not warmer ones.

If that is right, then it would seem likely that the cloud point of an ONR and water solution would be quite low. Much lower than I would care to be using it.

The warm water washing started after I noticed how much better job of cleaning I was able to do with warm water. From washing my hands, washing dishes. basically anything I washed.

Try a simple experiment. Run cold water over the food residue on a plate by just holding it under the running faucet. Now do the same thing using hot water. I think you will find there is a world of difference.

It just seemed logical that the same benefit would occur when washing a vehicle.

It is much more comfortable on my hands, especially in cold weather and I think it does a better job of cleaning.

If my understanding of "Cloud Point" is incorrect, I may have to rethink my procedure although it works so good that I really doubt that I will change.

Charles

my understanding of Cloud Point comes from a very knowledgeable friend who explained it like this:

"...The cleaning ability of vehicle (or any other) surfactant blend depends a great deal on what's known as the cloud point. These surfactants are carried in water, but as the temperature of the cleaning solution increases their solubility decreases - the liquid will actually look turbid, or cloudy, when this temp is reached and as a result the cleaning ability of the shampoo, TFR, pre soak, snow foam or whatever is vastly increased. The oil and dirt loving molecules are literally jumping to anchor on to the dirt you want to shift.

For maximum cleaning you need to run the applied solution at near its cloud point and ALSO rinse with water at the same temperature. Second best scenario is apply the cleaner cold and rinse with water at cloud point, or even hotter as it'll chill hitting a cold panel. Least effective of all is cold applied cold rinsed.."

My guess is the CP for ONR is likely to be 40-50degs or so, but I'd love to know the facts, so it makes it easier to at least get the wash solution working at its optimal temp....

Archived