What are your opinions on the cheaper polishers?

MICHAEL

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole car detailing scene and I just got a black 09 Maxima. I just purchased ONR and the OW spray. As of now I just plan on using the ONR to clean the vehicle then spray the wax on after. I want to get into polishing the vehicle, there are currently some light scratches on the car from my previous improper washing techniques so I would like to correct those as well as keep the car maintained and clean. I was interested in buying a polisher machine and I've heard about the PC7424 for around $100 on ebay but I saw some polishers at homedepot and lowes that were more affordable, should I stay away from these or what are your opinions on these. And lastly, I read that there are many types of pads to use and I don't know what the difference is with them, what should I use? Again I'm new with polishing and have never used a machine so keep that in mind and try to use simplistic language as I am not used to detailing lingo yet, thanks in advance guys.

Also any extra info would be great or products that you think I should try.

The main thing I just want to do to my vehicle is keep it clean and correct the light scratches that it currently has.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...90401&Nty=1

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...mp;Ntt=polisher

Micheal

Welcome to the wonderfull world of optimum, and having the best looking car on the block.

Judging by the age of your car, it should not be too scratched up, so Optimum Poly Seal (one step polish and wax combo) may be just the thing for you.

To apply the product I suggest a 5 inch random orbital sander(such as the Ryobi RS290 in teh first link you posted) combined with an orange CCS pad from Lake Country (worth looking for).

This combo does very minor correction, is easy to hold and work, and is very easy on the pocet book(from you post I gather detailing is not your chosen carreer path for now, you just want to keep you car looking better than showroom)

Instructions for use, was car with ONR, clay the paint( mild detailing clay removes impurities from the paint, without chemicals or hard work) apply PS sparingly to pad, and polish car while moving polisher slowly over surface(as a guage a maxima should take 1-2 oz of product, with most Optimum products less is more). once you have done the whole car, using a micro fibre towel lightly mist panel woth Optimum spray wax, wipe off both wax and polish, buff to a shine with dry MF towel.

When done open your favorite soft drink, stand back and admire your spectacular results.

You might want to take a look at this Sears unit as it is a little more powerful than the others (motor is 1 amp instead of .5 amp) Sears R/O However, none of these inexpensive units allow you to use the CCS pads so you need to purchase one of these Hook and Loop Adapter

Before you even invest in these units you might want to give the PoliSeal a try by hand.

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole car detailing scene and I just got a black 09 Maxima. I just purchased ONR and the OW spray. As of now I just plan on using the ONR to clean the vehicle then spray the wax on after. I want to get into polishing the vehicle, there are currently some light scratches on the car from my previous improper washing techniques so I would like to correct those as well as keep the car maintained and clean. I was interested in buying a polisher machine and I've heard about the PC7424 for around $100 on ebay but I saw some polishers at homedepot and lowes that were more affordable, should I stay away from these or what are your opinions on these. And lastly, I read that there are many types of pads to use and I don't know what the difference is with them, what should I use? Again I'm new with polishing and have never used a machine so keep that in mind and try to use simplistic language as I am not used to detailing lingo yet, thanks in advance guys.

Also any extra info would be great or products that you think I should try.

The main thing I just want to do to my vehicle is keep it clean and correct the light scratches that it currently has.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...90401&Nty=1

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...mp;Ntt=polisher

Your pad selection on some of these Home Depot/Lowes/Sears tools will be very limited. I would recommend the Meguiars G110 or the PC if you are going to buy a machine. Otherwise, stick with working by hand.

As a hobby detailer that went the $40 polisher route 20 years ago, I would suggest you save your money.

My cheap unit was on the shelf in a short time and I ended up giving it to a friend.

It was easier for me to do everything by hand than mess with the cheaper unit.

Save the $40 towards at least a Porter Cable random orbital. It will do a much better job. At least it has for me.

Actually, other than polishing, I seldom use the PC. Today's LSPs are so easy to use that I apply and remove them by hand.

If you are really serious about paint correction, learn to use a rotary. I have a friend that can correct a paint flaw in 2 minutes with a rotary that takes me 15 or 20 minutes with the PC. He calls my PC a toy.

I did stress the learn to use the rotary because they are a serious tool and can not only do a great job of correcting in the hands of someone that know how to use it, they can do some damage with improper use.

You can use the PC immediately and using the rotary takes some practice.

Greetings to the Optimum Forum Michael !! I agree with Integrity,Charles and Brent in that you should save your pennies and just buy the PC or the UDM (Same machine, different labels). In addition to what everyone has said, one of the nice things about the PC is that you can find backing plates all over the internet; everything from fairly rigid Meguiars backing plates to the very flexible Lake Country backing plates. The ability to replace your backing plate comes in to play when the velcro hook & loop surface starts to get worn and the pads don't stick as well. Many of the other random orbit polishers have "proprietary" BP's.

In regards to your question on how much pressure to apply, that is a bit of a vague question/answer area. The amount of pressure needed can vary on the degree of defect removal you are working on, as well as, the chemical you are using. Some polishes/compounds need more pressure and heat to break down and some need less. An example would be the difference between Optimum Polish and Hyper Compounds.

A tutorial on PC usage is on Meguiars Website if you follow this link. How to use a PC . Now remember, the recommendations given in the tutorial relate specifically to Meg's products, but, this will at least get you "in the ballpark" with the Optimum Polishes. From that point on it's mostly trial and error and practice.

Good luck to you!

Archived