SO, How's everyone doing out there?

ehall

We've been around for a while now. How is everyone doing? I see some folks have opened new shops, and the product line has exploded with new products and applications. There's a troubling economy and probably a lot of new children, girlfriends etc.

How's everyone doing? :)

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Well, I'm kind of restarting my business (from mobile to new fixed location) after taking 6 months off to deal with the loss of my father, my first shop fallout, and a herniated disc in my back that I had surgically repaired in January.

But all that is behind me and I'm starting fresh again. I've only been in my shop since March 1 and it's been up and down. Last week was down because of the weather. This week is up because I've got a few details to knock out for a car show on Saturday and then another show car in general.

Seems like about half the phone calls I'm getting don't book because I'm priced too high in their opinion. There's a cheap hack shop about 20 minutes away from me and he charges ridiculously low prices that I don't even want to compete with. I've been doing more "online marketing" on some different car forums and it's landed me more quality jobs with less work involved. So I'll keep doing that.

I'm still waiting on the weather to finally break. Average high's for our area are mid-high 60's and it's only been in the 40's & 50's for highs for the last two weeks. I think once the good weather finally gets here, things will pick up.

I'm really watching my budget right now with the new shop and all. I need to place a big order with Dr. G, but I have to wait till a few more details come through. I can't wait to try out the new polishes and re-stock basically everything else from Opt.

Well at the risk of sounding too upbeat.... I have to say the Lord is blessing my business with some great opportunities in this economy. I have a business selling Optimum car care products and other bulk products to some shops and mobile detailers and this week my wife and I will be doing our first car show, vendor booth selling, what else, Optimum Products. In addition to that, a local Corvette Club wants me to be the primary vendor for car care products at their annual car show in June. Also this week I may have landed an account at a car wash that is re-opening in the mountains nearby. The owner of the wash is going with a big name vendor for the tunnel stuff, but he wants me to set up the detailing side of the business and supply the business with interior cleaners, polishes, waxes....etcetera.

I'll try to post some photos of our booth from this weekend and keep ya updated on how the other aspects of the business are going!

Lastly Mike, my prayers are with you for a speedy recovery from your surgery and good luck with the shop as the weather turns nice. My brother in law was laid off from his job in Indianapolis, so I know how tough times are there in Indiana right now!!

In HIS Service,

Steve

Sounds like you guys are doing pretty well. I just got laid off my job last week. It now gives me an opportunity to either get another job or work on this detailing business and get it going full time. I have NOTHING lined up and my weekly and monthly customers I had are no more, they had to cut things out of their budget and I was one of them which I fully understood. I have a graphic designer working on a logo and cards for me but after that I will be out of money so everything again will be on hold until I get some work. Then I need to get my business license, insurance, etc so I can start handing flyers and cards out to the public to do more work. Right now I am only doing friends and family because of no insurance since it was just a side thing.

Things are great for Anthony and I. The shop is doing well and can now afford to get Anthony a hair cut!

Mike,

Really sorry to hear about your Dad.

Steve,

sounds like you will be ready to retire from the county soon!

Shawn,

I tell my kids " Do what you love and love what you do!" You don't have to make a million bucks a year to be happy.

Guest Driven Auto Detail

Ron - Thanks for the kind words. It was definitely the hardest thing I'd ever been through. Take care!

ehall - Ruptured discs are not fun at all. I hope you are doing better since you had your surgery!

Ron - Thanks for the kind words. It was definitely the hardest thing I'd ever been through. Take care!

ehall - Ruptured discs are not fun at all. I hope you are doing better since you had your surgery!

I had surgery about 9 years ago. I'm good to go. I highly reccomend surgery over all of the rehab type stuff, atleast if the problem is in the lower back.

Guest Driven Auto Detail
I had surgery about 9 years ago. I'm good to go. I highly reccomend surgery over all of the rehab type stuff, atleast if the problem is in the lower back.

I tell people the same thing...get the surgery. I've had about every type of rehab and test done possible. Always ended up in surgery. I've actually had 4 surgeries on 3 discs over the last 12 years. Not fun but I learn to live with it. Glad you're doing good with yours.

• 3 months later...

Archived