To presoak or not presoak? ONRww

fellipe

As far as I know the official instructions do not say you should prespray the paint. However, I would suggest giving ONR a minute or two to dwell on the dirt will help loosen it. I can spray my entire car in less than two minutes so I would suggest the extra time is not significant. Maybe another way at looking at this issue is to say at the very least it will not cause any harm

If you wish to not prespray the cars then ONR will obviously still work well

• 3 months later...

Some guys will set up ONR in a insecticide type pump sprayer. Spray down an area, say roof and hood. They will then begin the No Rinse as suaul on the roof, this gives the ONR solution time to dwell on the hood, which is where most of the grime is from bugs and such. Then No Rinse the hood as usual.

Move on around the car until done.

No Rinse is designed to break down and emulsify grime so some cars will be clean and ready for drying after one pass of your mitt. Other will need 2 or 3 passes. The test is to look at your drying towel. It should be pretty much free from dirt after drying a panel.

Anthony

I thinks wiping on a wet surface would be easier on the paint. Any chance of getting the dirt loose and even encapsulated in droplets would make your job look better. Some times what someone thinks is a waste of time is not always what others do. I would just because it may help me in the long run.

• 5 years later...

Once and a will I like to pre soak  the car with onr I use my pro 12 ik sprayer this thing can be filled with air from a compressor so you have alot of pressure and can get the onr in the gaps around doors and panels and flush out dirt  then I flood car with big red sponge and wipe clean  it also has a long handle you can do the roof of a suv standing in one spot its very fast to cover any car with all optimum products 

I think it's a case by case situation.  I always pre=spray (as opposed to pre-soak), hitting the bugs on front, wheels, tires, wheel wells, and rear before doing rinseless wash.  Sometimes it's not necessary, but is a habit for me.

Yes I am the same now since i have completely gone to the dark side   lol  a quick spray down the dirty areas  only takes a minute.  Cant see any mobile detailer not doing this .

9 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I think it's a case by case situation.  I always pre=spray (as opposed to pre-soak), hitting the bugs on front, wheels, tires, wheel wells, and rear before doing rinseless wash.  Sometimes it's not necessary, but is a habit for me.

I meant prespray by presoak.  I use a portable washer which I fill with ONR and rinse the entire car down before using the BRS and bucket.

https://www.snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-wa24c-lte-24v-150-psi-max-multi-purpose-clean-anywhere-portable-spray-washer-with-5-gal-tank

I do this during the winter time when my landlord shuts off the outdoor water supply to prevent the pipes from freezing.

But since I have completely moved away from traditional washes just wanted to know if I can skip the prespray/presoak/pre-rinse step.

my cars never get that dirty so i’ve played around with pre soaking vs pre rinsing vs nothing and the results are roughly the same 

in the end, ive stuck with pre rinsing with a hose just because it’s the quickest method and knocks off the most annoying debris (live bugs,  residual leaves, etc)

my routine before i start a wash is to rinse the car off, foam power clean (1:3) from an ik foamer to the lower part of the car and in particular the wheels and exhaust, rinse off and then bring the car in for an indoors rinseless wash 

I always rinse the car  with hose before  i do any thing .  Onr is not waterless wash as far as I know my car  is gloss coated and optimum wax and opti seal 80 % of the dirt comes of with the hose then soak car with onr with ik or weed sprayer then onr wash .  I also  like to use foam on the realy dirty parts as well. Coming back from fishing once the car was realy a mess   I  rinsed the car sprayed the hole car with onr and then put optimum soap on  top with foam cannon and   then washed  with several mitts soaked in onr  it kills the foam a  bit but wow its  very  slippery  soulution . 

• 2 months later...

I have been trying this new way of washing. Now it may seem counter productive to efficiency. 

I have heard from someone (possibly Ivan) about presoaking with ONR then rinsing the car with water prior to anything. 

This is my current experimental routine which applies to ALL washes for the sake of consistency everytime I wash a car with a water source. I personally use a hose with garden sprayer attachment on a "flat" spray setting (similar to pressure washer). I also wash my vehicle in NIGHT TIME as I am in the desert heat. The following steps can still be applied without a water source, which would increase efficiency, but I would take POWER Clean out of the routine and also not work in the wheel barrel for wheel cleaning. 

1. Presoak the car with ONR and let it dwell. Spray Tires/Wheels with Power Clean. Take the ONR wet wheel/body brush and go over all the wheel faces, tires quickly. Rinse off ONR/PowerClean with hose/pressure washer.

*The dirt should be encapsulated and some of the dirt/grime should be rinsed off better this way.  

2. ONR wash with BRS. Rinse again with hose/pressure washer.

*The contact wash should break off any bonds (static) that some dirt/grime had on the paint which should now be rinsed easily off the  car. I noticed that if you pressure wash a dusty car, some dust may still be stuck on paint due to static, which requires contact wash to break this bond.  

3. ONR wash with Cyclone wash mitt.

*This should be a quick step as most of the dirt/grime is gone from the car. Using this step ensures whatever was not picked up by the BRS/Rinse cycle would be picked up here so that the drying towel would not pick up any unforeseen dirt/grime. 

4.  Spray down entire car with ONR. Dry the car with Plus Twisted Loop towel 

5. Use ONR wet microfiber towel on wheels, tires, brake calipers. If working into the barrel with Wheel Woolies, I would spray the wheel down again with hose after the wash. 

6. Dry Wheels with Opti Seal and Microfiber towel . 

7. Apply Last Step Product of choice on the paint/windows/soft top/tires

WOW, just WOW - you must love washing your car!  I do 1/3 of all this, never rinse (have no idea where my hose is), and you won't find any marring/swirls on my cars.  I find car washing to be cathartic and relaxing, but much prefer driving them...

I cant see putting onr on a dry car doing any thing  .  I rinse the car well before  I do anything i find   if the car is gloss coated and wax a lot of dirt  will come off then i get my wash bucket with  onr and several wash mitts and big red sponge.  I use the sponge  to soak the panel I just squeeze  it and  kind of  through the onr on the panal  then wash with mitts  . I find the extra time I have washing  this way I can use to  wax  or use hyperseal.  I think your method  is just to much work . Sometimes I use my ik sprayer and spray onr with wax   then dry  I like the fact that I can get wax in all  gaps .