OCW durability issues

Greetings from Texas!

When I first started using OCW, even after meticulous surface prep, I found its durability to be less than advertised. With a single application, I would be lucky to get a month's worth of durability. I became a little discouraged.

And then it started me thinking on the abuse my car goes through on a daily basis.

It is exposed to the elements 24/7, both at home and at work. The hot TX summers; the up-and-down, topsy-turvy TX winters; the heavy rains we can get: the kind of rain that dumps 1"-2"of water in an hour. Highly acidic, no doubt, since the air quality in the DFW area is one of the most heavily polluted outside of California. And let's not forget the dusty environment of my condo parking area. Morning dew and light rains will turn the dust collected on the surface into a cake, which eats away at OCW.

No wonder that OCW wasn't lasting too long.

Once I took all of the above factors into consideration, I came to the conclusion that OCW is not at the heart of the problem, but rather the extremes it is forced to go through every hour of every day. If OCW were a living, breathing thing, it would be screaming in pain.

So why do I like OCW, and why do I keep applying it? It's affordable, imparts a great shine, adds a bit of depth, and it's FAST and EASY. So fast and easy that I have no qualms applying it after my car's weekly wash. And after my last polishing session about a month ago, I used two layer's of Natty's Blue Paste as my base, then OCW as the topper. Natty's blue adds the depth; OCW gives the shine. Or at least that's the way it seems to me.

Now that I've had my "Ah-hah" moment, I realize that OCW is really an outstanding wax. Durability issues? I don't even think twice about it anymore. I simply OCW my car after every wash. And now that I've had lots of practice applying OCW, I'm now thinking of adding Opti-Seal to my arsenal, adding a layer or two, and then going with OCW as the topper and maintenance wax.

Conclusion: If there's anyone out there, sititng on the fence about OCW, I say: GO FOR IT!

Happy Detailing, everyone!

-Ross

:thumbsupup[1]:

• 2 years later...

Great info

After I apply my opti gloss ( if it ever warms up in my garage) I am going to use ocw  with every wash witch is once a week and see how it looks .

Dan

1 hour ago, Habs said:

Great info

After I apply my opti gloss ( if it ever warms up in my garage) I am going to use ocw  with every wash witch is once a week and see how it looks .

Dan

Whoa, I had completely forgotten about this post!  Yeah, you won't be disappointed by OCW!

I've  since moved on from Natty's Blue and have gone to Collinite 845 because of the great durability. But I still use OCW as my topper of choice. 

• 1 month later...

I think it would be time to re-invent this product because it is not that long lasting and the competitors have gone past? I know it is difficult to compare because not all product are equal (UV protection or not, long lasting or not, water sheating & beading etc). For example Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer would be a good reference for a long lasting product?

It would be nice if OCW and Optiseal could have better durability and I do agree with you, the competition is very strong both in terms of ease of application and durability.  I appreciate OPT is focusing on the professional market with lots of nice stuff but the consumer products are the only ones I can buy

Archived