Streaking with QD

Bunky

Once "encyclopedia" source made this comment about quick detailers and streaking. I

Dr. G can you comment on any claims made in this as scientifically true?

For example, do detailers tend to attract dirt, decrease slipperiness, etc.

Quick detailers, often shortened to (QD) are a car detailing product with limited cleaning, gloss, and protection properties. They contain either Flouropolymers, which repels water, dirt, or oil or Silicone polymers, which also repel water while attracting oil and dirt.

Most quick detailing sprays diminish true surface slipperiness every time they are used, this occurs because a polymer is not easily adaptable to a spray formula. To be efficient the polymer needs to be emulsified to work as a spray, most quick detail sprays create a short-lived, slippery finish by using silicone oils and water but this attracts dust and do little to increase durability.

The silicone emulsion may be what is causing the streaking problem

Once "encyclopedia" source made this comment about quick detailers and streaking. I

Dr. G can you comment on any claims made in this as scientifically true?

For example, do detailers tend to attract dirt, decrease slipperiness, etc.

Quick detailers, often shortened to (QD) are a car detailing product with limited cleaning, gloss, and protection properties. They contain either Flouropolymers, which repels water, dirt, or oil or Silicone polymers, which also repel water while attracting oil and dirt.

Most quick detailing sprays diminish true surface slipperiness every time they are used, this occurs because a polymer is not easily adaptable to a spray formula. To be efficient the polymer needs to be emulsified to work as a spray, most quick detail sprays create a short-lived, slippery finish by using silicone oils and water but this attracts dust and do little to increase durability.

The silicone emulsion may be what is causing the streaking problem

Thank you for bringing up this subject. As with any general statement, there is some good information mixed in with a lot of bad and conflicting ones. Therefore, rather than trying to give you generalized statements regarding all quick detailers, I will make specific ones regarding Optimum Instant Detailer.

We only use fluoropolymers in this product since they offer maximum gloss and slickness while repelling dust, dirt, and oil. One application lasts 1-2 weeks and adds slipperiness not diminish it. Since this product does not contain alcohol or other solvents, it will not reduce the durability of the existing protection but also adds to it.

Finally, streaking with this product is caused by excess product or combination of products. In general, a quick wipe down with a microfiber towel should remove the excess product and eliminate streaking. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

David,

Thank you for bringing up this subject. As with any general statement, there is some good information mixed in with a lot of bad and conflicting ones. Therefore, rather than trying to give you generalized statements regarding all quick detailers, I will make specific ones regarding Optimum Instant Detailer.

We only use fluoropolymers in this product since they offer maximum gloss and slickness while repelling dust, dirt, and oil. One application lasts 1-2 weeks and adds slipperiness not diminish it. Since this product does not contain alcohol or other solvents, it will not reduce the durability of the existing protection but also adds to it.

Finally, streaking with this product is caused by excess product or combination of products. In general, a quick wipe down with a microfiber towel should remove the excess product and eliminate streaking. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

David,

Thanks. There is so much information provided by some in an authoritative fashion that it implies correctness.

• 5 years later...

Bunky, you can find me in the dictionary under letter P for penny pincher. I use very very little QD and almost never get streaking as a result. In fact I've been known to water them down. In particular Opt QD is find cut by 50% for me.

Archived