Optimum Pad Washer

While perusing the store at Opti-Coat.net, I noticed something I hadn't seen before:

pad_washer-228x228.jpg

Although this looks similar to some other pad washers out there, it does have some differences, most notably it doesn't seem to have the customary collar-type cover on the top to prevent splatter, or is that just not shown in the store picture?

http://opti-coat.net/opts/index.php?route=product/product&path=82&product_id=212

I also find interesting that the store page blurb suggests using ONR as the cleaning solution, which is a departure from the normal recommendations for pad washers, but I guess that ONR recommendation applies mostly to the Optimum polishes which have less residue than most polishes.

The addition of an Optimum Pad Washer was the suggestion of Yvan LaCroix, who is a huge proponent. He's used them in his high volume shop for awhile and helped in the design phase. Yvan also recommended using ONR as the cleaning solvent.

Thanks for bringing up the 3000, I didn't want to throw that in there myself, I have one, so I was curious about your customization of it. So you felt the top shield was unnecessary? I've never run mine without it, I can kind of see how the polisher action wouldn't throw anything "up"; my problem is more the spray coming out the sides.

I'm also curious about your comment about the stainless staining pads...I don't see how that could happen, but that piece being stainless steel did seem a bit of overkill (I guess maybe years of cleaning traditional wool pads against the plastic might wear it down, but I have to believe that replacing that part even multiple times is a cheaper option than making it out of stainless steel), so I think you guys made the right call.

Also good call on the filter, I can only imagine trying to get a replacement for that--I'm sure that's impossible to buy for the 3000.

Do you run ONR in yours, Chris? I use a powdered pad cleaner, but I've only used mine a couple of times so far.

Anyway, great addition to the store!

I like the idea of stainless in relation to durability, but I have the metal one and all my microfiber and wool pads turn black, just like polishing rims.

Oh, ha...I see, compound residue/wool pad...ur polishing the stainless! Yeah, that's really something you wouldn't want in your pad. Honestly I haven't used mine that many times and never with a wool pad, I'm pretty sure I cleaned MF in there, I'll have to watch for that next time.

Archived